Help me choose an amplifier...

Participant count
  • Participant list

LimPerT
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Alright so I have been having battery problems lately. I currently have two of these subs:

http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GT4-12/230&Language=FRE&Country=FR&Region=EUROPE&cat=SUB&ser=GT

These are wired to 2 ohms. I have an Audiobahn amplifier, here:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72_Audiobahn+A8000T.html

Im not sure what the problem is, but lately i have been having problems with battery corrosion. I'm convinced that these are related, because every time i remove the fuse from my positive cable the corrosion stops and my car will start fine. Other times when the fuse is in It takes my car longer to start.

I have already had my battery replaced once and it didn't take long til i began to see more corrosion even after it had been sprayed with chemical that prevents this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

All-in-all I wanted some sort of verification that an amplifier can cause these types of problems before I go and spend money on a new one.

Now if this is the problem I was looking at this amp. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HD2vt2blRbh/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&I=2064KX4001

Any help is appreciated - Thanks

I would go to auto zone or wherever in your area, get my alty tested for free, then buy a battery post cleaner, terminals and enough 4 or 2 gauge to do the big three upgrade to your charging ststem. Do the big three (maybe even double up on the neg term to chassis leg of the three, just for overkill), clean the battery posts, replace the terminals for $30 +/- and a couple of hours time. Then put you fuse back in and see if it happens again.

A new amp? I'd fix this first.

"when the fuse is in It takes my car longer to start. " you need all the help you can give your charging system, hence, the big three. Your grounding kit, if I am picturing the same thing that you speak of, only aids in the battery-amp loop and does nothing for your charging system

Corrosion is the product of a chemical reaction that (if you choose not to properly clean your battery posts and replace your terminals) you will have to use a baking soda/water paste to counteract otherwise it will keep reappearing.

Do the big three, the terminals and posts, throw some baking soda on there or not, its up to you, but a new amp ***** when you cant use it because it's not going to stop the corrosion or make your car start any easier. It's 30 bucks and a couple of hours that's all you have to lose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.