Help me build a component 3-way set up for my 1973 Dodge.

Participant count
  • Participant list

73DartSwinger

CarAudio.com Newbie
Being as this is my first post I will tell you a little about my current build and what I would like to do acoustically/audio-wise with the car. 

I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger (two-door) nearing the final stages of the build, we're now in the process of laying out the concept for the car audio/other interior modifications. I can build and tune an engine all day long and my dad, who is helping me save money on labor, did most of the fabrication and body/paint on this build with my help. Aside from wiring, setting and installing car audio we both don't know too much about the field. The amount of hours into this build would put it close to show-quality. All in all we have 600 hours in the body work alone.  

I have over $40,000 into this build already and the last bit of purchases to finalize before it is sent off to the interior shop is the sound system. I kinda have an idea on what I want and I am leaving a healthy budget of $4,000, for my absolute highest, but I would like to stay closer to $2500/$3000 to leave a little room for additional interior work.  I would like to do this myself, A) Cause I want the pride that comes from doing this myself and B) I would like to learn. 

Now, for what I want to do; I want to do a component speaker set up with High-Mid-Low's. I would like (2) 6'' Component speakers in the door near the front, (2) 6'' speakers on the rear panel near the rear seat, (2) 6'' or 8'' speakers behind the rear seat, (4) Tweeters, 2 in front and 2 in rear, and (2) 8''-10'' subs either in the trunk of below the rear seat if at all possible. I need to know what amplifier you would recommend for this, what crossover/s you'd use, if I need a capacitor, if I should use an outboard equalizer and, finally, what wires you'd use. I can place speakers wherever you guys think would work best since the panels are being custom built. I am trying to leave the dash as open as possible as we are building custom air-vents for conditioning but if you think the tweets would work here I am sure I can modify the dash to do this (It's a steel dash). 

The first rule is I don't want this to be a bass thumping monstrosity, I use monitor style headphones so I am very much looking for a more audiophile experience, clear and crisp mid's, precise highs and balanced bass that you can feel but doesn't overwhelm whatever music you listen to. I like to listen to anything from classic rock to indie-folk to old school hip-hop to blues so they have to be pretty good at handling music at all spectrum. 

The second rule is they have to be aesthetically pleasing. I very much like the look of the Infinity 20MX's, so if you think they're good for the price then I would like to go for something that looks like this. I have spent a great deal of time and research to get the look right for my car. Currently, the seats (front buckets and a rear custom bench that is molded to snug like a bucket) are done in a eggshell white leather in diamond stitch, the door panels will be done in charcoal black leather with white stitching, the carpet and headliner are also in charcoal black, the dash is black with the accents ready dip. What I would like to see is either a light gold, copper or chrome accent in the speakers or fully black with a real metal grill. They have to be aesthetically pleasing, while sounding good, so if you think something looks good let me know so I can see if it will work for this build. 

The third rule is that the head unit must work well in a classic car aesthetically. It must have Bluetooth as well as Auxiliary inputs. I have looked around and something like this would be okay if you think it would work,. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/long-beach-radio-no-knobs-or-mounting-bezel?variant=30138827139.

I know this is a pretty long post, I appreciate all who read and take time to help me learn. As I said, I am learning so please feel to correct me in my mistakes and point out my ignorance. I would love to keep the number of speakers the way they are simply because I want a more surround experience. 

Thank you for your time, 

73Dartswinger

Damn cant edit post after like 1 min lol

Cliff Notes.

$4000 MAX budget but would rather spend closer to $2500

3 way front stage?

Sound quality not SPL

Show car so looks matter

DIY install and tuning

As per my idea with running the said number of speakers is simply a personal preference. My Audi runs a 12-speaker B&O system, so I wanted to see if that was replicable in a car not designed for it to produce [quality sound with strong sound stage].  

Crossovers confuse me as well - do I need an 8-channel Amplifier or a 6-channel Amplifier to run 4 woofers, 4 tweeters and (2) 10'' subs? Crossovers take a signal and turn it into a 2 or 3 way signal correct? So tweeters would run on the same channel as the woofer, meaning I would only need a 6 channel amplifier? Or do the subs also run on the same channel on a 3 way crossover? Is passive or active better for a 2-3 way crossover?

If I used my car's parcel shelf for Subwoofers would it be inadvisable to utilize the area, at a further distance from the subs, for a set of woofers/tweeters as well? or would sound be affected due to the low-frequency 'boom' of the subs? 

Thank you again.

Tl;DR

12-speaker set-up is preference over necessity

Crossover explanation on difference between 2 and 3 way 

How many channels does my AMP need

Ideal placement of subs, interaction between subs that are placed close to other speaker (woofer, tweeters).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.