help making amp decision

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a pair of Infinity perfect 6.5s im goin to power with a SS Ref. 370w A/B amp. I have 6.5 co-ax and 4x6 kappas I need to power. I have narrowed my choices down to either a SS Tarantula Nano 900w 4ch class D or a Rubicon 600w 4ch class A/B. For my sub a 12in DVC 2ohm TypeR I wanna use either the Tarantula Nano 1200d or the Rubicon 1600d. Im goin to run 0g to the sub amp and a run of 4g to the mid amps. 2farad cap. If I have to I will upgrade the Alt. and/or Battery. Of course I'd rather not have to spend money on upgrading electrical. Im looking for the most efficient set-up and SQ. I have also considering buying 3 Reference 370w amps to run the mids since its the only amp I can find in the Ref. Line available besides the 920w 4ch which is $400bucks and I feel overkill for the mids I have. Also running 3 class A/B amps imo will be hard on the stock electrics. Does anyone have any of the amps listed above and can offer any advice?

what amps/speakers/subs that you listed do you currently own? what is driving your choice in Soundstream? You seem fairly set on running that brand only.

why are you adding 6.5 coax and 4x6 coax to the Infinity Perfects? you may gain volume but you will likely reduce SQ. where are the 6.5 coax and 4x6 coax located? what vehicle?

I own all the speakers listed, perfects in front doors , 6.5 co-ax in front kick panels, 4x6 rear doors. 01 Silverado and I haven't decided where to mount the tweet probably on pillar. Im from old school 90s I always liked ppi and ss and its in my budget now. I wasn't trying to get into a " Lets bash brands forum" so hopefully we can stick to topic..thx for the help

each of the speakers listed will require different high pass crossover settings. so having separate amp channels for each is a good idea. in a separate post you're asking about bridging an amp to run the perfects in mono. we recommend against that.

i'm not bashing a brand, just curious what options you have. if you already own all of the speakers and amps then your options are limited to what you have. if you're shopping then options are more open. before we can answer your question we need to be clear on what we're working with. it's common for for the first reply to be a question asking for more information.

if SQ was your goal, the perfects alone would be what you'd use. adding more speakers of lower quality just lowers the overall SQ of the system while increasing volume level.

for efficiency, aim towards full-range Class D and avoid Class A/B. you're going to use SS so just pick from their options that fit your budget and run with it.

back in the 90's an Orion, PPI, or Soundstream amp of good quality were over $400. All three of those companies were bought out. An amp of equal quality to what we had in the 90's is over $700 today. I enjoy old school amps and prefer them, personally. Until recently, all of my amps were older than 2000.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.