Help!! Lots Of Smoke

ViCk-BuMp
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I own a Hifonics BX1500D and a Rockford T2 Sub... I had them installed like 2 weeks ago and I was very pleased with the system... but today when I was driving my truck tried to turned off and then I Let the clutch go and turned on againg... buth the thing is that as soon as the truck turned on... it started to come out a lot smoke from the amp and I turned my truck off right away... I checked all the fuses and cables and they were ok... but when I tried to put the amp fuses back... it made a little spark but didn't break the fuse... So please and Help or opinions of what happen let me know... the Hifonics letters on the amp turn on but where it says POWER is off...

I own a Hifonics BX1500D and a Rockford T2 Sub... I had them installed like 2 weeks ago and I was very pleased with the system... but today when I was driving my truck tried to turned off and then I Let the clutch go and turned on againg... buth the thing is that as soon as the truck turned on... it started to come out a lot smoke from the amp and I turned my truck off right away... I checked all the fuses and cables and they were ok... but when I tried to put the amp fuses back... it made a little spark but didn't break the fuse... So please and Help or opinions of what happen let me know... the Hifonics letters on the amp turn on but where it says POWER is off...

Take averything out and start over. Better yet, take everything out and go to a shop and let them reinstall it. Oh and It may be to late. Just go to a shop that knows what they are doing.

but if there was something wrong with the connection I should've known since they installed them.. I think its maybe a failure in the amp or I don't know because I only had it on for less than 5minutes... and never did that before...

but if there was something wrong with the connection I should've known since they installed them.. I think its maybe a failure in the amp or I don't know because I only had it on for less than 5minutes... and never did that before...[/QUOte
that type of hifonics amp is notorious for that, sorry

if they installed it dont touch anything . go there with a friend(or maybe go to a different shop and have em look at it first, but not move anything) and then go back to the original shop and have em look at it in front of you and maybe they will find out what happend(what they did wrong hopefully), and have to warranty the amp and reinstall. (and you may want to get the money back for the install, and go somewhere else to get it installed, if they screwed it up the first time).

What I would do is bench the amp - hook it up to a 12VDC power supply on a fuse. If it doesn't power up (which I would figure), the amp is toast.

An internal inspection should make it really clear what's fried...burnt MOSFETs, smoked coils, burned parts of the PCB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.