HELP!! Jensen vx7020

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bear

CarAudio.com Newbie
3 years ago I bought a 2010 Ford F150 Lariat with this unit in the vehicle. It worked perfectly when I bought the vehicle but the past year and a half now it has been acting up. It started with the touch screen not working at all for 3 months than all of a sudden it was normal again. After 6 months it went back to not working again, but regained normal functionality in a shorter time this time. After that the sound went to a high pitch with a lot of static as you increased the volume with very little sound. That would happen off and on as well as the touch screen just jumping all over the place like I'm just constantly touching it. Now for the past 5 months it's never gained normal function anymore. Only the CD works and it also disconnected my phone that I cant reconnect for bluetooth music. I cant get through functions to connect as touchscreen is non functional and I even tried a styles pen which wouldn't work. The backup camera also started acting weird lately as it would just rapidly flicker or would actually stay on while driving. Does anyone understand what is happening??? Something that can be fixed or is this unit shot? Any recommendations for an upgrade to this for my vehicle if so? Must have bluetooth and GPS. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any info, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated!

That radio was released 4 years ago at least, and I don't really consider it a dependable brand. I'd say just replace it. 

Jensen is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get. It's as bad as Pyle or Boss,lol.

Sounds like the head unit is toast and needs to be replaced. Take a look at the Pioneer NEX head units as they have the features you are looking for. Might be a bit more since you want GPS but iirc those run around 300?? Might be cheaper if you can find the exact model as a factory refurb, I know last time I looked into it that was about the price I was looking at with GPS for my dad's Freestar.

That radio was released 4 years ago at least, and I don't really consider it a dependable brand. I'd say just replace it. 
Yeah, it's what I'm looking at doing now.

Jensen is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get. It's as bad as Pyle or Boss,lol.

Sounds like the head unit is toast and needs to be replaced. Take a look at the Pioneer NEX head units as they have the features you are looking for. Might be a bit more since you want GPS but iirc those run around 300?? Might be cheaper if you can find the exact model as a factory refurb, I know last time I looked into it that was about the price I was looking at with GPS for my dad's Freestar.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the pioneer nex units. I actually pulled off the front cover today and took the Jensen unit out. To check for any loose connections and wiring and  plugs all looked fine from what I saw. I guess it is just a p.o.s. unit and not dependable as being said. One thing I liked most about it was that I was able to play DVDs while driving. For my 2 kids. Not sure if other units do the same? I'll just have to check and speak with whomever I buy from about that functionality of it. Just trying to stay under $600 if possible. Not trying to find the best of the best. Just something actually functional, GPS and hopefully DVD playability.

Thanks for the replies, input and suggestions!

One thing I liked most about it was that I was able to play DVDs while driving. For my 2 kids.
It's a legal requirement (at least in the U.S.) to set radios up to not allow video playback within view of the drivers seat, and has been that way for at least ten years ago when I got my first DVD unit. I can almost bet whoever installed that Jensen unit bypassed that, which is very easy to do most of the time. I do know current model Pioneer's are a bit more tricky to bypass, but can still be easily done a couple of ways.

I do prefer Pioneer and have one myself now, but there's a number of options out there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.