Help, Im New

Im relatively new to car audio, and im looking to put together my first system. I have done A LOT of reading (more than you would think) and I think I have put together a decent entry level system. I have not bought it yet, as I am not sure if it is all going to function together, plus im not too sure how to decide on an amp wiring kit. I would really appreciate it if someone could look through the links and assure me I can be confident of it even working together. Here are the links to all the items I am looking to buy:

Subwoofer: Alpine Type-S 12" 1000-Watt Car Subwoofer (SWS-12D4) : 12" Subwoofers - Best Buy Canada

Amp: Alpine MRP Mono 500-Watt Car Amplifier (MRP -M500) : Mono Subwoofer Amps - Best Buy Canada

Box: Atrend Pro Series 12" Single Vented Subwoofer Enclosure (PROSERIES12SQV) : Unloaded Boxes - Best Buy Canada

Deck: JVC Bluetooth Receiver with Android/iPhone/iPod Control, Front USB & Aux (KD-R860BT) : Single-DIN Receivers - Best Buy Canada

Wiring Kits:

A: Metra Truconnex 5 Series 8-Gauge 600W Amp Kit (TC5KIT8G) : Amplifier Kits, Speaker Wire & Connectors - Best Buy Canada

OR

B: Stinger Select Series 8-Gauge 600W Amplifier Wiring Kit (SS600X) : Amplifier Kits, Speaker Wire & Connectors - Best Buy Canada

Not sure if im even in the right direction with the wiring kits, or even with the system in general, please let me know!

Edit: My budget is about $800 if that matters

First impression is that your subwoofer amp is a bit under-powered. The sub is rated at 500w rms, while the amp puts out 300 at 4ohms. Ideally your amp should be rated AT LEAST what the RMS of the sub woofer is, and more is better.

Also, unless you add amps to the front soundstage, the Alpine headunit will power speakers at a low to moderate level only. 20w per channel is just barely enough if you like to listen thumping rock/pop. For some rap it's ok since there is not a lot of midbass in some rap and its all about the low bass, like 80hz and below.. which leads back to the sub being under powered. Not saying it wont sound ok at "normal" volumes, just keep your expectations realistic. "Powerful 200 watt amplifier" is typical marketing hype. Always check the RMS at the impedance you need (4 ohm in this case) to get a more sensible number. 20 watts per channel doesn't sound quite as **** and impressive as 200.. But a nice 4 channel amp is an easy fix for that if you decided to get one later on.

As a point of reference, my DSP puts out 35 watts per channel and I have that going to my midranges and 70 watts RMS to the midbass woofers. My system gets loud enough to sound ok, but cannot dig deep when it really counts. The amp clips when I push the volume up to what I want. Clipping can kill a speaker in a heart beat. I'm getting rid of that DSP/amp unit and going 180watts per channel minimum with new amps. Eventually I plan to go 300 per side (although I have aftermarket speakers that can handle far more power than a stock system). The subwoofer amp that goes with my DSP also puts out 300 watts rms to the sub.. again its pretty meh for me and is about to swapped for a 1200watt rms Alpine.

Better to wait a bit, save up a few hundred extra dollars, and then buy a sub woofer amp you wont outgrow or be disappointed in.

The diagram is valid, assuming the sub is a dual voice coil (yours is I'm pretty sure) but running an amp at 2ohm and really tapping into it on a consistent basis is going to generate more heat and draw more power. Depending on the quality of the amp, it may or may not stress the components. It's up to you of course. but in my humble opinion the goal is to have an excessive of clean power and try to minimize demands on components, not push them to keep up. more power = less heat and distortion.

looks like im taking a trip to my local car audio shop lol
Expect them to charge you an arm and a leg for a custom subwoofer box. Dont let them trick you into buying anything or doing overpriced work. Check with us before you get stuff done. Just get quotes, take some pictures of their past work, have a list of what they are going to do to your car etc...

If you have any woodworking skills or know anyone with wood working skills. Here are some free enclosure designs. *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum It'll sound 1000x better than that garbage prefab you wanted to get and it'll cost the same in materials. Basically have the wood selling place make a few cuts, take it home, glue and screw then have a jigsaw cut the hole, and you are done. Paint or carpet is easy.

You are also paying waaay too much if you are buying from best buy. Seriously 220 dollars(167 US dollars) for a friggen type S sub and 200 dollars for a discontinued mrp 500 amp? those get tossed around for 50-70 dollars on craigslist(equivalent of canada's kijiji classifieds).

Wire kits too, this is the same quality if not better than metra, pure Oxygen free copper http://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Kolossus-Gauge-Amplifier-Installation/dp/B0058OENJ2

What are your goals with this setup? Loud? good sounding? How much space do you have?

Im relatively new to car audio, and im looking to put together my first system. I have done A LOT of reading (more than you would think) and I think I have put together a decent entry level system. I have not bought it yet, as I am not sure if it is all going to function together, plus im not too sure how to decide on an amp wiring kit. I would really appreciate it if someone could look through the links and assure me I can be confident of it even working together. Here are the links to all the items I am looking to buy:
Subwoofer: Alpine Type-S 12" 1000-Watt Car Subwoofer (SWS-12D4) : 12" Subwoofers - Best Buy Canada Sounds good to me

Amp: Alpine MRP Mono 500-Watt Car Amplifier (MRP -M500) : Mono Subwoofer Amps - Best Buy Canada I'd maybe look into a more powerful amp. This one gives you exactly the rms you want but only if you can maintain 14.4v on your electrical. You could do it with the right electrical, however an easier solution may be to just get a more powerful amp to have plenty of overhead power and wont need to stress the amp.

Box: Atrend Pro Series 12" Single Vented Subwoofer Enclosure (PROSERIES12SQV) : Unloaded Boxes - Best Buy Canada Just no, buy a built box here or build one yourself is the only acceptable answer. and build it specific for your sub's specs to achieve desired sound.

Deck: JVC Bluetooth Receiver with Android/iPhone/iPod Control, Front USB & Aux (KD-R860BT) : Single-DIN Receivers - Best Buy CanadaProbably the most important part of your system. Get something with better sound quality

Wiring Kits:

A: Metra Truconnex 5 Series 8-Gauge 600W Amp Kit (TC5KIT8G) : Amplifier Kits, Speaker Wire & Connectors - Best Buy Canada

OR

B: Stinger Select Series 8-Gauge 600W Amplifier Wiring Kit (SS600X) : Amplifier Kits, Speaker Wire & Connectors - Best Buy CanadaFor some reason something is telling me to go with 4 gauge, in theory the 8 gauge should do just fine. Just get the one with the higher strand count.

Not sure if im even in the right direction with the wiring kits, or even with the system in general, please let me know!

Edit: My budget is about $800 if that matters
2nd Opinion, if you put all of these things together properly I can promise they will make sound.

If you get invested in this hobby, just trying different equipment, continuing to educate yourself on all the intricacies of the hobby, and learning how to filter out the crap the some of these people spew out daily can help you for years to come in any and all audio ventures. If you need advice at any point during the install don't hesitate to PM me.

Expect them to charge you an arm and a leg for a custom subwoofer box. Dont let them trick you into buying anything or doing overpriced work. Check with us before you get stuff done. Just get quotes, take some pictures of their past work, have a list of what they are going to do to your car etc...
If you have any woodworking skills or know anyone with wood working skills. Here are some free enclosure designs. *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum It'll sound 1000x better than that garbage prefab you wanted to get and it'll cost the same in materials. Basically have the wood selling place make a few cuts, take it home, glue and screw then have a jigsaw cut the hole, and you are done. Paint or carpet is easy.

You are also paying waaay too much if you are buying from best buy. Seriously 220 dollars(167 US dollars) for a friggen type S sub and 200 dollars for a discontinued mrp 500 amp? those get tossed around for 50-70 dollars on craigslist(equivalent of canada's kijiji classifieds).

Wire kits too, this is the same quality if not better than metra, pure Oxygen free copper http://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Kolossus-Gauge-Amplifier-Installation/dp/B0058OENJ2

What are your goals with this setup? Loud? good sounding? How much space do you have?
Yeah so I went to my local car audio shop, guy only had pioneer decks *sigh* and tried to sell me some subwoofer and amp kit that was on sale but was some complete random brand, so I didnt stay there too long. The only thing that caught my eye was a JBL 700rms 12" sub that was normally 800 on for 450. my goal for the setup is just the highest quality bass for under $1000

Yeah so I went to my local car audio shop, guy only had pioneer decks *sigh* and tried to sell me some subwoofer and amp kit that was on sale but was some complete random brand, so I didnt stay there too long. The only thing that caught my eye was a JBL 700rms 12" sub that was normally 800 on for 450. my goal for the setup is just the highest quality bass for under $1000
Check with mylows10 on here, he can hook you up with all your wires, precut and fused. He is also a rep of several brands that we use. He is also exetremely knowledgeable on most, if not all of this stuff.

eh no. Get it all online if you have to. Not sure how bad the US shipping to canada is but see if it can work out for you. Still didn't answer what are your goals with this system here.

my goal is to get the hardest bumping sub, amp, head unit, and box combo for under $1000
Will you be installing this yourself? If not, you'll have to figure out how much it's gonna cost to install before you work on the rest. I will tell you this, though, the head unit is the brains of any sound system. The best unit for the money is the Pioneer DEH-80PRS at about $280 online. I would start there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.