HELP! I can't find the right screws

Doctor Rockso
10+ year member

NC
I am trying to find the correct size screws, I want to mount it to a 1" MDF. I know the norm is to have it on 3/4" MDF but I didn't realize that. I have a 10" Alpine 10D4 (the newest model). I have tried 6 different sizes. I am guessing that the I will need from 1.5"-2" in length. I would like to have socket screws if possible. I tried 1/4-20 x 1.25" it would turn a couple of times then it would get tight and would not turn anymore. another problem i am having is that most screws have a smooth part towards the head of the screw, depending on the length; the more smooth area it will have. Please if anyone has mounted a new model Alpine sub or has any suggestion please please please let me know any suggestions or help will be very appreciated. THANK YOu VERY MUCH!!!

drilling pilot holes help a lot., 1/4-20 machine screws are not a good idea, you need wood screws. I am assuming the only way to access the sub is from the outside. If you are doing something like an IB set-up where you can easily access both sides of the baffle board to remove the sub, then I might see pre-drilled holes and machine screws. Another alternative, and probably better would be to install machine screw inserts.

I just got thru pulling mine out and re-enforcing the screw holes with super thin ca, you def want something threaded all the way up the shank and at least long enough to penetrate the baffle through the back side you you pull the material together when you tighten down, after wicking ca into my screw holes I had to use the high torque setting on my drill and was able to clutch the screws at the highest setting the drill had without any stripping what so ever! but like above pilot drill first and wood screws are a must.

1.25" is plenty. The reason it wouldn't turn is because your pre-drill hole was not big enough.

I simply use drywall screws, and the smooth part doesn't matter, especially if you're using it on the basket.

I think you're really over thinking this haha.

1.25" is plenty. The reason it wouldn't turn is because your pre-drill hole was not big enough.
I simply use drywall screws, and the smooth part doesn't matter, especially if you're using it on the basket.

I think you're really over thinking this haha.
sorry i guess that i dont want to mess it up, lol.

so if the screw diameter is too small in the sub hole, its ok as long as the head does not fall through?

Yeah, all you have to worry about is that the head of the screw is big enough to catch the edges of the holes on the sub.
i hate myself!!! thank you everyone that has giving me help, ideas and suggestions. I feel so stupid right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.