Help, Do I Need A Line Driver???

Participant count
  • Participants list
First, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post in! Anyways, my setup I have purchased are a Pioneer AVH-2600BT, an Alpine MRX-M110, and 2 Alpine SWS-12ds's. I am wondering if I need, or it would be highly beneficial to get a line driver for my my amp and subs? I ask this because my Headunit only has a 2v preamp... Now I am not claiming this is correct at all, but a friend of mine who knows a bit about car audio told me my Subs aren't going to be nearly as powerful or clear without a line driver because I don't have 4v preamp, so I need to get a line driver. I'm not sure if this is true at all or not and was hoping to get some clarification on what to do. What will a line driver do for my system as far as benefits, and do I need to get one? I've read that I can get just as clear of a signal with 2V, so I'm confused. Sorry if this is all jumbled up, I'm a newb! I appreciate all the help in advance.

Thanks,

Eli

No you wont. Headunit preamp voltage is used to match to the amp input voltage. As long as the amp can take a 2v input you will be fine.

If the signal is bad and subs arent "clear" then using a line driver will only amplify the crappy signal provided. Thats assuming you already have proper amp and headunit settings.

No you wont. Headunit preamp voltage is used to match to the amp input voltage. As long as the amp can take a 2v input you will be fine.
If the signal is bad and subs arent "clear" then using a line driver will only amplify the crappy signal provided. Thats assuming you already have proper amp and headunit settings.
So what does the preamp voltage have to do with it? I've just heard that a higher preamp V will help with preventing interference from the power wire?

So what does the preamp voltage have to do with it? I've just heard that a higher preamp V will help with preventing interference from the power wire?
The entire point of headunit preamp voltage and an amps input voltage is to match the output of the headunit. A higher preamp voltage wont help with anything in a properly installed system. Many of the best sounding headunits ever made have extremely low output voltages under 1v.

The entire point of headunit preamp voltage and an amps input voltage is to match the output of the headunit. A higher preamp voltage wont help with anything in a properly installed system. Many of the best sounding headunits ever made have extremely low output voltages under 1v.
Okay, so I got this from Alpine's site... which one am I looking for?

- Input Sensitivity (RCA Input): 0.1 - 4.0 V

- Input Sensitivity (Speaker Level Input): 0.5 - 10 V

- Preamp Output: 4.0 V Max.

I'm assuming that this means my headunit matches the amp... right? Which spec am I looking to match?

I'm assuming that this means my headunit matches the amp... right? Which spec am I looking to match?
Input sensitivity of the RCA's. 2V max from the Alpine will be fine with that amp.

This simply stating that your AMP accepts preamp inputs of .1V up to 4V, meaning if your HU puts out more than 4V you'll be overpowering or clipping the hell out of it.

As whitedragon stated, 2V from your HU will be perfectly fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.