Help diagnosing + improving subwoofer installation

Syllith

Hi, I'm hoping this is the correct board to post this to, so forgive me if it's not.

Before I explain my issue, I'd like to list what equipment I'm using.

Amps:

Kenwood Excelon x500-1

Boss AR1500 Armor

Subs:

JL Audio 12w3v3

Kicker C124

Batteries:

Duracell gold (Not good for subs, I know)

VMaxTanks 600W deep cycle battery

Wiring:

4 gauge wiring kit with 100A fuse going from car battery to DC battery

8 guage wiring to everything else (see posted pictures)

Distribution block with 2x 30A fuses coming from DC battery (see posted pictures)

Notes:

Kenwood amp -> JL Audio sub

Boss amp -> Kicker sub

The Kicker is starting to freeze up. It's an old sub and wasn't caused by my current setup. It's all I have until I can get a new one. This may be the cause of the issue, but please read everything before replying.

I hope my grounds are good enough, I tried putting them closely and even put some silica gel there to help reduce moisture.

I'm not sure if the Y splitters I'm using are the correct kinds. I've attached a picture of them.

My Issue:

Alright, so as of right now, I have everything set up like the pictures posted. If I unplug only the input cables from the BOSS amp and use only the Kenwood + JL Audio, I get a really loud, deep bass. Sounds great, no problem. The issue occurs when I plug in the BOSS + Kicker. It seems to put a damper on the entire sound system. Even though the Kicker is starting to freeze up, it doesn't sound too terrible. Noticeable, but not to the point where it's unusable. I just haven't had money for a new sub. It does however seem to take away power from the JL. With 2 subs, even with 1 being a little frozen, you'd think it would still add a little power, but it actually seems to do the opposite. The JL doesn't hit nearly as loud or deep. With there being 2 separate amps on seemingly independent systems, I don't understand how this is possible. Perhaps the picture of my setup will help pinpoint the issue. I've tried labeling what I could to make things a bit easier. I suspect I have wired something incorrectly and power is being drained somewhere when both amps are hooked up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's any more information you need. Thanks guys!

View attachment 26552499

View attachment 26552500

View attachment 26552501

View attachment 26552502

well, im not an expert, but i think youve got a few things going wrong for ya.

first off, throw that boss amp in the garbage, or sell it to some dumb kid??

secondly, id recommend NOT mixing subs.

That jl w3 will slam in the right box. It will blow away your current setup as its ineffiencient

what do you mean the kicker is "freezing up"? the voice coil sounds raspy during movement? if so, you need to recone it, or better yet toss it

I suppose I don't know exactly what's happening, but the cone is hard to press, unlike the JL and other subs I've see. It does sound a bit off. Almost like the coil is beginning to unwind or something.

personally id get a custom box built for you jl. specs say 1.75 cu. ft ported.. id prolly tune to 33hz. (depending upon your music genre)

that said, the kenwood amp says 300w rms @ 4 ohms.. its possible.. but tat sub alone will sound way better by itself.

what vehicle do you drive?

just looked at the jl w3 specs, they suggest 1.75 cu'ft at 30 hz. again, only run the jl in proper settings, and you will be happy.

Do you have any wood working skills?

Would mixing subs really be that significant? How about using another identical jl with the boss amp? I realize that isn't ideal, but if it'll work and prevent me from spending all that extra money, I'd like to try it.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

And no, I'm afraid I don't have much woodworking skills, despite working in a furniture warehouse lol

Right now, I have both subs in my backseat. If this is causing noise cancellation due to the two subs, perhaps I can put one in the trunk and leave the other one in the backseat. Maybe that would help?

Identical jl sub with kenwood amp running both would be better.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Put them in the trunk

trust me, that boss amp is the worst component in your system!!

2 jl's would be great, but your kenwood is only able to power 1 .. just forget about the boss. theres a reason the 2000watt boss amp only costs $82.92 with free shipping.

And most def, running mis-matched is def not good

dual jl w3 @ 4 ohm wired to 2 ohm wouldnt be terrible. as gary suggested. i was stuck on 4 ohm??

youd still be MAXXING out you amp though. Head room is a good thing. and at yourlow power needs, can be had rather cheaply.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.