Help designing system for Porsche 911

Participant count
  • Participant list

rollandburn
10+ year member

canada
Hi all, I started building a system for my 1985 911 quite a few years ago and for one reason or another never finished. I'm pulling the car back out of storage this year for a cross country trip and need tunes! If I could list my gear and explain the current state of affairs it would be great to get feedback on ways to improve the setup.

A few things that bear mentioning up front...

1. I love huge clean bass.

2. Lots of road noise in these old 911's.

3. There is very little space in the whole passenger compartment.

Current Gear

Headunit: JVC KD-G720 (blech!)

Amp: Rockford Fosgate Power1000

Subs: 2x10" MB Quart RSH254 (shallow subs)

Mid/High: MB Quart 6.5" QSD216 components

The head unit is basic, but it has sub outs. I would upgrade if I had to. The amp is a monster and is installed in the trunk (front of car). The MB Quart 6.5"s are in the doors with raamat throughout. So far so good.

The subs were a tough one. Most other 911 owners who want bass either stick a powered sub under the passenger seat, or put two 8' behind the driver/passenger seats on the floor. Being greedy for bass I decided I was going to make two 10"s fit so I built a sealed wedge-shaped fiberglass box. It probably weighed 90 pounds, very stiff. To my surprise the subs made barely a peep, they were moving but not much was happening in the way of audio. I threw an mdf separator in the middle of the box thinking maybe the air pressure in the box was cancelling out, made no difference. Checked all my wiring and crossover levels, messed with different amount of batting, and as a last resort cut a hole in the box to see if a port made any difference at all. nope. So I never really figured out what the problem was but my suspicion was that my box plain ******. Probably too small after all the fiberglass and the limited space to start.

Anyway, now that I'm back at it I'm not sure where to start. Is my design faulty? Would 3 or 4 8"s kick just as much *** as 2x10"s? In the past 5yrs has there been any new sub technology for use in tight spaces?

If 8"s just aren't going to give the boom I will carry on with my original thoughts of going with at least 10"s. I have heard that there are other more important considerations than size (ie. high powered pro level 8"s would blow away consumer grade 10"s)... but I don't know. I'm not even sure if my wiring strategy with the amp is sound. Arg!

I found a diagram from way back... hopefully it makes sense.

http://postimg.org/image/kglsts6cb/

My ****** box...

http://postimg.org/image/ap56hybcb/

Not my car but this is the space I squeezed the box into.

http://postimg.org/image/smr04u041/

Sorry for blabbering on, I'd rather give too much info than not enough apparently. =]

Last edited by a moderator:
The box doesnt look too bad for shallow mount 10s

you just ran into a phasing issue, take a picture of how the box is currently sitting in the vehicle and where the subs are facing. Sounds like it has nothing to load off of.

Your headunit/gain settings might be off as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.