Match ohms of DVC sub & amplifier.

Participant count
  • Participant list

soulknight

I bought a Kenwood X801-5 amplifier that is stable at 2 or 4 ohms. Should I pair it with a 1, 2 or 4 ohm DVC and am I wiring the DVC in series or parallel? What affect will each have on the amplifier and the sub? 300 watts RMS is more than I will ever need.

I pulled this off of a Q&A on Crutchfield for one of the subs I was looking at and got more confused. "The Subwoofer is set up with 2 ea. 2-ohm coils which dependent on your system could be wired in series at 4 ohm, or in parallel at 1 ohm. "

These are 3 subs I am looking at:

Kicker 40CWRT671 - CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 1-ohm voice coils.

Kicker 40CWRT672 - CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils

1DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

A 4ohm DVC if I can find one.

1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

i prefer parallel wiring (4 ohm DVC) over series wiring (2 ohm DVC).

if you go with Dual 1 DVC then you can wire in series for a 2 ohm load. after other factors, you'll be closer to the desired power.

You're going with a single 6" sub?

Since it's only 150w rms you're going to want the d2 and you'll wire it in series for 4. That gives the amp the potential to produce 300w rms. Keep the bass boost at a min and be very conservative wit the gain setting and it should work fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.