Help Configuring Head Unit Vs. Sub Amp Crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

txjeep

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Preface that I am very new to all of this. This is my first time building a sound system. This equipment is going into a Jeep Scrambler.

My head unit is Kenwood Excelon KMM-X503
Sub Amp is Kicker 42PXA5001
Sub is Polk Audio DB 842 SVC

I have attached the audio settings for the head unit and the crossover setting for the amp.

My question is, should I use the head unit to set the crossover for the sub or use the amp to set the crossover for the sub? Once installed it will be very difficult to make changes to the amp settings.

In either scenario, what should the sub amp crossover settings look like?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_0059.png

IMG_0060.png

IMG_0061.png

IMG_0062.png

Last edited:
Preface that I am very new to all of this. This is my first time building a sound system. This equipment is going into a Jeep Scrambler.

My head unit is Kenwood Excelon KMM-X503
Sub Amp is Kicker 42PXA5001
Sub is Polk Audio DB 842 SVC

I have attached the audio settings for the head unit and the crossover setting for the amp.

My question is, should I use the head unit to set the crossover for the sub or use the amp to set the crossover for the sub? Once installed it will be very difficult to make changes to the amp settings.

In either scenario, what should the sub amp crossover settings look like?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 52703

View attachment 52704

View attachment 52705

View attachment 52696
Have you considered testing your settings based on the instruction, adjusting them to meet your desired sound and then doing you final install? That's what I did. Also, look on YouTube.com for your amplifier and type in how to set..................

Your subs freq response is 30-200hz. There just isn't a good setting to use on the amp. Use 180 or 220 on the head unit.

(Also on that excelon head unit, max rated voltage is at 34 (out of 35). Set your gains at 34 volume, and you have a little over the top if needed).

Have you considered testing your settings based on the instruction, adjusting them to meet your desired sound and then doing you final install? That's what I did. Also, look on YouTube.com for your amplifier and type in how to set..................
Yes, that is good advice I intend to follow. I will be able to stage everything and hopefully test and adjust all the settings. There are a couple of unique aspects to this that I am working around. The body is on a rotisserie and I am trying to prewire as much as possible for the sound system as I wire the rest of the Jeep. Access will never be easier. The sub amp sits under and is mounted to the center console by design. The crossover is not accessible when mounted without taking it all apart. The center console also houses the sub itself.
crutchfield told me to set the crossover at 80 on the amp and use the head unit to tune. That confused me as my understanding of LPF is that the result would be no frequency to the sub above 80hz. Seems like I should set the amp at the higher level and pull back the frequency at the head unit.

Is that right?

Your subs freq response is 30-200hz. There just isn't a good setting to use on the amp. Use 180 or 220 on the head unit.

(Also on that excelon head unit, max rated voltage is at 34 (out of 35). Set your gains at 34 volume, and you have a little over the top if needed).
Can you read my reply to huberoy123 above and let me know your thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, that is good advice I intend to follow. I will be able to stage everything and hopefully test and adjust all the settings. There are a couple of unique aspects to this that I am working around. The body is on a rotisserie and I am trying to prewire as much as possible for the sound system as I wire the rest of the Jeep. Access will never be easier. The sub amp sits under and is mounted to the center console by design. The crossover is not accessible when mounted without taking it all apart. The center console also houses the sub itself.
crutchfield told me to set the crossover at 80 on the amp and use the head unit to tune. That confused me as my understanding of LPF is that the result would be no frequency to the sub above 80hz. Seems like I should set the amp at the higher level and pull back the frequency at the head unit.

Is that right?

That is a good approach. If the amp crossover will not be accessible, and given the flexible crossover on the head unit, I would set the amp crossover as high as possible (120Hz) and tune with the head unit. This will give you a steeper slope and faster roll-off, and let you adjust to your liking when the system is complete.

Is that right?
I would trust Crutchfield. Although, I would test the other suggestions provided by other members, to see what I liked.

There's definitely quite a few that can give a better answer, but IMO, it's (1) 8" sub. It's supposed to be quicky and jabby, not a power puncher. It's to emphasize the music, (but it'll hit to feel it too). If you wanted deep, heavy low hits, you'd go with something bigger. An 8" isn't about shaking the ground, it's about emphasizing the music. I think you definitely want a good chunk of what it can do over 100hz. If you have mids that get close, maybe you can find that frequency range.

If you listen to heavy hitting rap, you would probably wouldn't miss cutting it off at 80 or 100. If you listen to rock or country, there's a lot more instrumental bass that will get cut off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...