Help choosing Amp for Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list
I've read through a lot of other posts to try and figure this out but I believe I still need help. I choosen to go with one Orion XTRPRO 10" sub (Recommended 500 watts RMS, manufacturer rated at 600 watts RMS, 4ohm DVCs) and am now trying to choose an appropriate amp.

Option 1: Wire the sub at a 2 ohm load (4 ohm DVC sub wired in parallel) to use more of the amps potential, which should require a smaller amp and price. Having the 2 ohm load linked to a mono amp to avoid cutting the load to 1 ohm, as I understand bridging would do, while aiming for 500 watts RMS.

Question 1) When looking at the specs on various mono amps, they state e.g. RMS Power = 250 W X 1 @ 4 ohms and Bridged RMS Power = 500 W @ 2ohms. I'm confused on the watts and ohms that my sub wired at 2 ohms would be operating at. Would the sub wired at 2 ohms cause the mono amp to see a 2 ohm load and draw the 500 watts RMS @ 2 ohms or would the mono amp see a 1ohm load and be bridged?

Question 2) It's my understandign that a mono amp has only one channel (therefore doesn't have to share the load), so how can a mono amp be bridged?

Option 2: Wire the sub at an 8 ohm load (4 ohm DVC sub wired in series) and link the 8 ohm load to a bridged 2 ch amp to total a 4 ohm load?

Question 3) When looking at the specs on various 2 ch amps, they state e.g. RMS Power = 250 W X 2 @ 4 ohms and RMS Power = 500 W X 2 @ 2 ohms. I'm confused on the watts and ohms that my sub wired at 8 ohms would be operating at. Would the sub wired at 8 ohms cause the bridged ch2 amp to see a 4 ohm load and draw the 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms?

If it's any releif to anyone, I plan to have the sub/amp installed at a car audio store, but don't wich to pay their high prices for the equipment. However I have installed all the smaller stuff ... head unit, and four cab speakers myself.

Thanxs in advance.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused:

if your subs are dual 4 ohm VC which i think they are, then you will want a mono block amp that is 1 or 2 ohm stable, as for the watts, match the max of your sub with the max of the amp.

hope i was of service to you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.