HELP, Anyone seen fuses like this????

DDSC
10+ year member

Wang-aholic
Jackson, MI
Ok im driving the other day and my windows stop working, then they start working again, then stop. this goes on for a day or 2 and then today they just stoped working period. So I go check the fuse since they stoped working all together and this is what I found for the window fuse. I have never seen a fuse like this, theres no window at all to see a filiment. Its a 20A, 14.5v fuse if anyone cant see it in the picture

Another important thing, it has a metal case and when I went to take the fuse out it burnt the sht outta me:furious:, it was hot enough that when I licked my finger and touched it the sum***** sizzled:eek: there was another one just like it and it wasnt hot so Im assuming my problem starts here

So my question is, Is the fuse bad or is it my car, is there a way to test the fuse with my DMM and should any basic hardware/automotive store carry them

thats a circuit breaker, hence why they would work and then stop and then work again, might have been getting hot then shutting off, the gm part# is stamped right on it
thanks for fast response, any idea why it would be getting hot like that, it was working if I cut the car off and back on, then it worked once when I turned the radio off and back on, but today it never worked once. I dunno what the price on these things is but I wanna know why it went out so I dont end up buying more than I need to.

Plus Im not resting to easy, I keep going to the window to make sure theres no smoke coming from my car, also I take it that its ok to run the car without this in right???

also I was putting some tranny fluid in my car and I didnt have a funnel so I spilt ALOT on the the engine the same day it started acting funny, might it had melted a wire or something cause it was on the back side of the engine by the fire wall

I work at a GM dealership and most of the time we do not see a relay just go bad and sense it was getting hot and turning on and off i would say that there is a short or a wire problem. once a rellay gets to the point of over amperage it releases the contacts so they are not touching once it cools down it will make contact again hence why it was so hot

1. replace relay

2. make sure none of the wires either entering the fuse block or through the firewall to the doors is cut or looks damaged

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.