Help, and weird issues

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to car audio, I'm a mechanic and I've never seen this problems before, the issue that I'm having is, my brand new head unit shuts itself off when I turn on my headlights, my old headunit didn't have this problem, any ideas what this could be? Also, my headunit doesn't have a remote feed for my amp, and only has 1 output for my amp, where my old one had 2. What should I do about those?

Sounds like you might have bought a cheep head unit. What brand?

Maybe your voltage drops when you turn the headlights on, and then the low voltage cuts the head unit?

^

Probably a cheapy, take it back, they sell a Sony at wal-mart for $80 that has RCA out and REM for an amp, which is what I currently have in case you are not wanting to spend a whole lot such as myself.

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to car audio, I'm a mechanic and I've never seen this problems before, the issue that I'm having is, my brand new head unit shuts itself off when I turn on my headlights, my old headunit didn't have this problem, any ideas what this could be? Also, my headunit doesn't have a remote feed for my amp, and only has 1 output for my amp, where my old one had 2. What should I do about those?
What head unit is it? It really sounds like you may have something wired wrong.

^Probably a cheapy, take it back, they sell a Sony at wal-mart for $80 that has RCA out and REM for an amp, which is what I currently have in case you are not wanting to spend a whole lot such as myself.
Sounds like you might have bought a cheep head unit. What brand?
Maybe your voltage drops when you turn the headlights on, and then the low voltage cuts the head unit?
What head unit is it? It really sounds like you may have something wired wrong.
It's a $300 boss headunit the BV7325B it's not cheap. I had a cheap fusion head unit in my car before that and it worked fine, it's wired the same.

When the headlights are on, it won't turn on period. I just noticed it as I was pulling my car out of my shop, so I haven't had the chance to recheck everything, there's only 3 wires that could be messing it up, and I've swapped them once, so technically the only wire that hasn't been touched since I hooked it up is the ground, could that be causing it?

When the headlights are on, it won't turn on period. I just noticed it as I was pulling my car out of my shop, so I haven't had the chance to recheck everything, there's only 3 wires that could be messing it up, and I've swapped them once, so technically the only wire that hasn't been touched since I hooked it up is the ground, could that be causing it?
So you're saying when the headlights are off there is not a thing wrong, but you turn them on and it doesn't work? And you don't think something is wired wrong?

I would go back and trace all the wires out and know for sure where they terminate.

That is correct. And No sir, I never said it wasn't wrong, I was just wondering what you guys would think was wrong, the only wire I could see being wrong was the ground, could that cause that problem?

That is correct. And No sir, I never said it wasn't wrong, I was just wondering what you guys would think was wrong, the only wire I could see being wrong was the ground, could that cause that problem?
Well you've got a problem somewhere, at this point anything is possible. It shouldn't be ground because it's working fine with them off, but its possible if your HU ground is somehow wired to the headlight's switch, where it's a ground when the lights are off and 12V+ when they are on. Best bet is to not ask for people, including myself, to guess at what it might be, but to trace them out and find out for sure.

Fine, once I figure that out, what should I do about the amplifier? Two RCA inputs from my amp, only 1 output from my head unit and no remote, I was looking around, and I seen someone say to hook it up to the power antenna wire.

Fine, once I figure that out, what should I do about the amplifier? Two RCA inputs from my amp, only 1 output from my head unit and no remote, I was looking around, and I seen someone say to hook it up to the power antenna wire.
Probably invest in a new head unit man, the one you have seems to be giving you more headaches than it's worth, especially if it's a cheap one.

for the rca question, you can buy "Y" splitters. so each output from the HU becomes 2, thus giving you the 4 you want. For the remote you could do that, or sometimes the cig lighter works.

hard wire IGN 12v, constant 12v and ground to the HU, bypass the adapter.

Do NOT use the power antenna for remote wire as HU will shut off when you switch to CD or AUX. Either use IGN off the fuseblock or something that's powered on when the car is on like the wipers.

x2 on Y splitters for the RCA's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.