help amp shutting off not from heat

Participant count
  • Participant list

bert101
10+ year member

az
I have 1 rockford fosgate p1 10 4ohm sub and 1 rockford fosgate r500-1 amp. I just hooked the system up yesterday with 8 gauge ground and hot wire and it bumped.....hard...untill my drive to work today. I cant figure out why but my amp cuts out after its turned up even the slightest bit. But we took the amp out hooked it up to my friends system and it works just fine. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

p.s. This is in an 89 mustang.......if old car could be the problem haha

The ground aint the problem. I regrounded it this morning even sanding down the metal to make sure I got a good connection..... still the same problem

digital multimeter. maybe the sub it toast and too much resistance? you sure that is a good ground point? just throwin out things it could be.

Im positive its got a good ground like I said it bumped for a day than yesterday on my way to work it started this crap. I know the amp is 4 ohm and 2 ohm stable and its running at 4 becaues I only have one sub atm so i dont think ohms is the issue. ill have to get a multimeter and check the sub to see if it blew, I dont think it did tho because it sounds perfect untill a certain volume than it cuts in and out.

sounds like a connection issue. if it's working at all then it should be ok (the sub). is the power wire tight at the battery and fuse? what's the HU? the amp doesn't do this in your friends vehicle? try your amp AND sub in their car next time.

its a sony explode head unit. power wire is tight at battery and fuse BUT there is a ring end on the power wire at the battery and im wondering if that could be the problem? Works fine in my friends car will have to try the sub and amp in his car when he gets off work.

well if that ring term is loose, then it could be. it's like its not getting the power it needs when you crank it up. you don't have the gains slammed all the way do you?

Nah gain is only on like 3 or 4 when it starts cuttin out and the radio is only on like 17. Punch bass is turned to 1.... phase is 0 degrees and thats all the bells and whistles this amp has.

did you hit a hard bump while driving that couldve knocked anything loose?
Thats very possible but everything that has to do with the system has been checked and is tight.... but this car has a different suspension and rides roughhh on some roads, what could have been knock lose that would make this happen?

This isnt making any sence at all....Everyone I talk to thinks its a connection issue somewhere but every connection is perfect! what else could it be?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.