HELP! 1500$ later and still doesnt work right =(

Participant count
  • Participant list

Outraaageous

Let me start be giving a little rundown of my system

04 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 w/ Tow Package

My alt amperage was difficult to find, best case its 160 from tow package, worst case its a 136 replacement

I have an Old 2ch. DigitalAudio high Current Amplifier (DHC1604) that pushes 2x900w @ 1ohm to subs

Running interior speakers i have a Pioneer (GM-D8604) 1200w 4ch Class FD amp

Interiors x4 Alpine components Type S's

i have x2 12"Alpine Type R's DVC 2 ohm

Im running 1/0 gauge from battery to 180A fuze then to distro block, from distro to both amps is 4 Gauge, the amps are less than 1-2 feet from the Distro block

NO big3

LARGE ported box tuned to 30hz

For the first few weeks i had no issues, other than some strong headlight dimming when i was really jamming out. More recently my head unit wants to cut out, turning off then back on again. This seems to happen for about 10mins at a time, if i adjust the volume or try to change audio Source, or try to turn down my bass, all this leads to it cutting out again. Basically every time i touch it, it goes back off and on again. that persists for maybe 10 mins, then it works fine for a few more hours sometimes the rest of the day. At first i thought it was my amps were pulling too much power, taking away from the power to headunit. To test that ive played my most "bassy" songs as loud as i can, and it doesn't cut off or throw a fit. These "fits" seem to be completely random... and usually happen after hours of playing, Not in the morning when i first use it. Ive looked and triple checked EVERY ground i have and they all are secure and to bare metal/frame. Im about at my witts end with this setup! We were able to hit 135-140Dbs when testing (granted it would drop to 11.0v during the test, For that reason we did it in bursts not long tones), this is by far the loudest system ive ever owned and its less watts than i would have thought would be needed to achieve it.

My amp has a voltage readout on it and i seldom see it drop below 13.0 but Ontop of fixing the problem i don't want my system to burn out my alt and leave me stranded somewhere either!

Q1. What is causing the HU to cut out randomly?

Q2. What is the cheapest way to solve this problem?(i.e. Cap,Highoutput alt,Second battery)

Q3. If second battery is best, what kind and is it necessary to buy 2 of same kind one for car/ one for system? As my car battery is pretty new i dont want to have to replace 2

Q4. Is my Alt sufficient enough to run my system without problems in the future?

Thanks ahead of time for any tips/help you give! Im so frustrated with this system and the amount of $$ ive put in that im on the verge of scrapping it altogether if i cannot find a solution

Alt and extra battery done
Do you care to elaborate? Do i need to replace my car battery at the same time or can i do without that? Isolate the second battery? Or run it parallel? What output of alt would be sufficient for such a system? As you can see im in need of more than just "Alt and extra battery done" although i thank you for your help, it just left me with more questions.

Do you care to elaborate? Do i need to replace my car battery at the same time or can i do without that? Isolate the second battery? Or run it parallel? What output of alt would be sufficient for such a system? As you can see im in need of more than just "Alt and extra battery done" although i thank you for your help, it just left me with more questions.
It seems like you're having electrical problems. You need to invest in a good alternator since you're running a lot of power. PM mylows10 for a quote on a Singer alternator. Also a 2nd AGM battery in the trunk would help. Run it parallel. This might run you a couple hundred but it's well worth it.

If you don't have the money for an alt yet then get a quality AGM second battery and run the big 3 as well. Start with that then move on to an High Output Alternator. If your front battery is a WetCell battery replace with a similar AGM battery that you will be getting for your second.

My setup is in my signature but I also have the Big 3 done. I'm running a little over 2k RMS and at full tilt sitting at idle, i drop to 13.7 very briefly. With RPMS to around 1800 I stay over 14.2 at full tilt. I'd be happy to help you out via PM as well if you'd like a side discussion.

Sounds like your running class ab amps. Which are power hungry. And your stock slt can't keep up. So replace the battery under the hood with a agm and get an ho alt do the big 3 as well. Then if you still have dimming add the extra battery run them parallel. No isolator

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.