Heart thumping problem... amp related?

Participant count
  • Participant list

randyrsx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Here's the scenerio:

Just changed one thing in my perfectly working fine before setup, the amp.

I changed from a Kicker SX900.4 to a Memphis Big Belle. My ground originally wasn't great, I used a seat bolt but didn't have any whining or thumping.

I hooked up the Belle correctly, made a new ground on the chassis grinded it down to bare (and bright) metal and ran the ground from my HU there as well. Turn on the HU and there's nothing but the thumping noise and the amp is in protect mode. All levels are turned completely down and this happens with the RCAs in and with them out as well.

Help, please.

That's a good idea I guess. I don't get it though. The one I used I grinded down and is a cross support for the chassis. I checked all the fuses on the amp as well, they're fine.

how long is the ground for the head unit??? what size wire you using for the amp? picture's of the hook up. try and put the other amp back in using same wire's. i was using the amp the day i pulled it out. how did the packaging lookwhen you got it? if the other amp was working then undo the changes you did! lmk in this post please

Here's the scenerio:
Just changed one thing in my perfectly working fine before setup, the amp.

I changed from a Kicker SX900.4 to a Memphis Big Belle. My ground originally wasn't great, I used a seat bolt but didn't have any whining or thumping.

I hooked up the Belle correctly, made a new ground on the chassis grinded it down to bare (and bright) metal and ran the ground from my HU there as well. Turn on the HU and there's nothing but the thumping noise and the amp is in protect mode. All levels are turned completely down and this happens with the RCAs in and with them out as well.

Help, please.
you changed 3 things! the amp, the ground for the amp and the ground for the deck

The ground for the HU is in the same spot, here's a picture:

0413071932.jpg

I changed the grounds for the two after it didn't work in the spots they were originally located. I can't try the old amp, I, uh, already sold that one.

4awg wiring (it's Knu, so it barely fits) Packaging was just fine, I don't get it.

the head unit can't have a ground that long. ground it in the stock location or in the same area of the head unit.

you might of had a remote problem when you had the long ground on it.

unhook all the speaker's and rca's and remote wire then jump a power wire to the remote and see if it turn's on.

check the remote wire for power when you turn the deck on to1

Update:

I re-grounded the HU to the stock harness and also tried a new ground for the amp, still had the same noise. So I tried eliminating the HU completely and ran the remote wire to a fuse that turns on with the car, same problem again.

So it can't be the HU, can't be the RCAs, could it really be another bad ground?

unhook all the speaker's and rca's and remote wire then jump a power wire to the remote and see if it turn's on.
OK, tried this and it turned on just fine, no protect whatsoever. So I turned off the car, rehooked up the RCAs and still green. I'm now rechecking wiring, there's a chance that I made a mistake on that. I'm bi-amping my Germs and might have set that up wrong. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Got it! I guess my Germs weren't wired correctly into it. They're now biamped again received 230w @ 2ohms and are each taking the front and rear channels per side. Stop reading this thread.

Thanks for all of your help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.