Headunit - What to look For?

going to be upgrading in the future, and id like to start with my headunit.
what should i be looking for in a headunit?

im running 500 rms on one component set right now from my current HU(sig)

along with my other amp for my 2 12s.

but when i upgrade id like to get back speakers and also amp them aswell.

any feedback is greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
^^

which amps are you considering?And doesn't your processor take care of that?
not considering, about to install. Alpine MRV-F405 and MRV-1005 with the DRE-A200 between if necessary (to increase crossover point between mid and midbass (not likely, but will space plan for it). The F405 is capable of active with it's crossovers. They will run a 3-way active front stage with 4 channels of T/A (tweet and mid on same HU output). I'm looking for a MRV-1505 to round out the group and run the subs.

I no longer use an external processor. Too noisy.

So you like it better than the 9887 huh?
Eh. for a simple 2-way active - no. I miss having control of mid/tweet crossover points at the HU, and having independent L and R settings was nice. I think the 9887 was a bit "cleaner" as far as outputs go.

But for all of the other features, the HD149BT is good. I may miss Ai-Net capability, which the new decks don't have.

I kept my 9887 and put it in the wife's car. So I can swap if I ever want.

not considering, about to install. Alpine MRV-F405 and MRV-1005 with the DRE-A200 between if necessary (to increase crossover point between mid and midbass (not likely, but will space plan for it). The F405 is capable of active with it's crossovers. They will run a 3-way active front stage with 4 channels of T/A (tweet and mid on same HU output). I'm looking for a MRV-1505 to round out the group and run the subs.
I no longer use an external processor. Too noisy.

Eh. for a simple 2-way active - no. I miss having control of mid/tweet crossover points at the HU, and having independent L and R settings was nice. I think the 9887 was a bit "cleaner" as far as outputs go.

But for all of the other features, the HD149BT is good. I may miss Ai-Net capability, which the new decks don't have.

I kept my 9887 and put it in the wife's car. So I can swap if I ever want.
I have the 9887 in the cobalt. Looking for a radio for the truck.

It also remembers where you left off with USB or iPod even if you remove it. So i can switch between iPod and USB (using the same USB connection) and it recalls position on either. Pretty neat.
Similar to what you describe, does the 149 remember what track you were on if you are just using a USB thumb drive and leave it attached? So, for example, I'm listening to track XYZ when I turn the car off, but leave the USB attached. When I turn the car back on, will it start playing right where it was on track XYZ?

I would hope that is the case, but my son put a lower end Alpine in his Wrangler and it does not remember the track when turned off! He had to find what he wanted to listen to EVERY time he started the car. So he put his old iPhone4 in the glove box and leaves it hooked up all the time and it DOES remember the track doing that!

(I'm looking at the 147, but assume that the USB functionality would be the same with the 147/148/149.)

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
not 3-way active but adjustable level, slope, frequency for Front HPF, Rear HPF, and Sub LPF.
I have the CDE-HD149BT which steps up to BioLite display for $300. Worth it, to me. And it plays Apple Lossless files via iPod. It also remembers where you left off with USB or iPod even if you remove it. So i can switch between iPod and USB (using the same USB connection) and it recalls position on either. Pretty neat.
I am also looking into a CDE-HD149BT, do you know the difference between this one and 148? there's a $50.00 difference and to put a cd in the 149 the faceplate needs to be removed, with 148, no need to remove the face plate, other than that I can not find any difference between the the 2 HU's in the specs or anything else, just wonder what the extra $50.00 will give me.

Also this kenwood for $250 has a xover dedicated for the tweeters only, rather than just a HP,LP passive xover HP for Rear, HP for the front, Tweeter HP and LP

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT955HD/Kenwood-KDC-BT955HD.html?showAll=N&search=kdc_bt955&skipvs=T#details-tab

Thanks

I am also looking into a CDE-HD149BT, do you know the difference between this one and 148? there's a $50.00 difference and to put a cd in the 149 the faceplate needs to be removed, with 148, no need to remove the face plate, other than that I can not find any difference between the the 2 HU's in the specs or anything else, just wonder what the extra $50.00 will give me.Also this kenwood for $250 has a xover dedicated for the tweeters only, rather than just a HP,LP passive xover HP for Rear, HP for the front, Tweeter HP and LP

Kenwood KDC-BT955HD CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Thanks
faceplate folds down, isn't removed.

the difference is the display. the 149 has a larger BioLite display with looks so much nicer. just demo them and decide for yourself. having the BioLite display with the 9887 I wasn't going to go back to dots.

Similar to what you describe, does the 149 remember what track you were on if you are just using a USB thumb drive and leave it attached? So, for example, I'm listening to track XYZ when I turn the car off, but leave the USB attached. When I turn the car back on, will it start playing right where it was on track XYZ?
I would hope that is the case, but my son put a lower end Alpine in his Wrangler and it does not remember the track when turned off! He had to find what he wanted to listen to EVERY time he started the car. So he put his old iPhone4 in the glove box and leaves it hooked up all the time and it DOES remember the track doing that!

(I'm looking at the 147, but assume that the USB functionality would be the same with the 147/148/149.)

Thanks,

Rob
yes. it remembers where the song left off with the car on/off, and even if you remove it, drive around without USB, then put it back in. for me, i switch between USB with 320kbps .mp3 and iPod with Apple Lossless. it remembers where I left off with either even though i have to physically remove one to use the other. i haven't seen that level of memory with any other HU yet (not to say it doesn't exist).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.