Headunit-less Install options?

mk2singh

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hi all

Im looking to have a headunit-less install. Need something that will pair to my phone via bluetooth for streaming
Would like something that will have a master volume control I can mount hidden in the dash and maybe some buttons for next and previous track selection. A mic for handsfree would be cool but not a necessity
Is there a device which will give me these options without having to run a headunit which can connect up to my 2 amps (one for comps and another for Sub)?
Been looking at multi channel amps which could run the comps and the sub from one amp but would need something to cater for the above functionality.
Also the smaller the scale factor the better as id like it all hidden as possible

Somethings ive considered are:
NVX XUBT3 - which has most of the Bluetooth functionality as I want but the volume control only adjusts the Bluetooth devices volume and not the amplifiers
Another option was an AudioControl 6XS with the ACR-1 volume control which the amps would connect to. Id still need a bluetooth module of some sort to solve the functionality requirements I want
Could also have a volume control mounted somewhere and then a separate bluetooth module with some basic control functions flushed into a standard dash rocker switch

Is there a reasonable/cheap priced DSP on the market which I can setup myself without any special equipment that will give me the option to connect a bluetooth module too? Do all DSP's have the option for a volume knob control?

Lots of options but if you have any better suggestions they would be appreciated

Look into the Dayton 408 dsp. I have not used one myself, but they are very popular on this site.

Just had a quick search. Looks like a good solution for a DSP. Even has bluetooth option/Add-on. But people are having mixed reviews about them on what ive read. Noise issues? Also the additional remote looks abit big, unless I can take it apart and just mount the knob somewhere

Look into boat stereos.

Yup that was my first point of call which led me to the NVX stuff and even saw a rocker switch module from Memphis car audio. But the volume control on it is for the bluetooth device and not the actual amps.

Im wondering if I can combine the two such as running a volume control for the amps and then having a bluetooth device with just play/track skip buttons connected to the input and maybe combine them into one small switch panel like the rocker switch solution from memphis car audio.

Look forward to more options/opnions from you guys on the forum, Thanks :)

An amplifier is just that, an amplifier. It reproduces sound that is fed into it. An amp, in and of itself, has zero volume control. An amplifier MUST have a pre-amplifier in order to work. Your BT connected phone is the pre-amp. Therefore, you want volume control left with the phone.

Another mode I want to try is a cheap 12v bluetooth dongle connected directly on the amp. Connecting it with my phone or a tablet is the plan that others have used. Some even integrated the ipad in lieu if the headunit. I don't want to go that far, but a stand or clamp of sorts would suffice.

Another mode I want to try is a cheap 12v bluetooth dongle connected directly on the amp. Connecting it with my phone or a tablet is the plan that others have used. Some even integrated the ipad in lieu if the headunit. I don't want to go that far, but a stand or clamp of sorts would suffice.
Screenshot_20200510-000858(1).png

An amplifier is just that, an amplifier. It reproduces sound that is fed into it. An amp, in and of itself, has zero volume control. An amplifier MUST have a pre-amplifier in order to work. Your BT connected phone is the pre-amp. Therefore, you want volume control left with the phone.

But what about the amps that come with a pluggable remote knob? Are they not adjusting the volume as such?
Or is it that full volume control would only come with a pre-amp device as you said?

Could I use one of them volume knobs that connect inbetween the source and the amp via RCA? Are the usually powered?

Thanks

Last edited:

Yes this will work, but volume control would be from the Bluetooth device

Yes but in my case I'm not running a radio/headunit hence the thread title 😉
Some boat radios are the size of a deck of cards. They have all that a regular radio has, and some have handsfree calling. They are surface mounted and do not go through your headunit in any way. They are stand alone units, and will connect directly to your amps since they do not have one built in. Alot of people down here have them in their CanAms, 4wheelers, and sand rails. Quite nice tbh.

But what about the amps that come with a pluggable remote knob? Are they not adjusting the volume as such?
Or is it that full volume control would only come with a pre-amp device as you said?

Could I use one of them volume knobs that connect inbetween the source and the p via RCA? Are the usually powered?

Thanks
Those knobs are adjusting the input gain is all. I suggest you get one of these. I love mine. You can hide it, as I do mine. Of course, there are others out there for less but if you want good sound, this is the one. I've tried the others and sent them all back. Disclaimer, I use mine in my home setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVL4WHL/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.