Headunit-less Install options?

Some boat radios are the size of a deck of cards. They have all that a regular radio has, and some have handsfree calling. They are surface mounted and do not go through your headunit in any way. They are stand alone units, and will connect directly to your amps since they do not have one built in. Alot of people down here have them in their CanAms, 4wheelers, and sand rails. Quite nice tbh.

Yea I saw a few marine options but most look abit too much aftermarket to have a stealth installation

Those knobs are adjusting the input gain is all. I suggest you get one of these. I love mine. You can hide it, as I do mine. Of course, there are others out there for less but if you want good sound, this is the one. I've tried the others and sent them all back. Disclaimer, I use mine in my home setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVL4WHL/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Do you know if the volume knob on this controls the volume of the bluetooth connected device or does it control the volume of the preamp/DAC?

Thanks

You could always do something like this.

Ive actually seen this Memphis module: https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product-page/mxabtrk-rocker-switch-bluetooth-controller

Would be great but the volume only controls the bluetooth device and not the amps
I saw this Metra one aswell but same issue with that: http://www.metraonline.com/part/MPS-BTK1

Ive actually seen this Memphis module: https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product-page/mxabtrk-rocker-switch-bluetooth-controller

Would be great but the volume only controls the bluetooth device and not the amps
I saw this Metra one aswell but same issue with that: http://www.metraonline.com/part/MPS-BTK1
Well color me silly. You've actually had the solution all along. That rocker switch controls you amp's volume as well. Any 3.5mm output will be volume controlled by the switch, so any amp connected to those 3.5mm will be volume controlled as well.

Here's another way to look at it. If I connect my JBL Flip4's 3.5mm output (headphone jack) to my amp's rca input, I will control volume from the Flip4 OR the phone. They each have the ability to control the volume going to the 3.5mm output. Capisce?

Well color me silly. You've actually had the solution all along. That rocker switch controls you amp's volume as well. Any 3.5mm output will be volume controlled by the switch, so any amp connected to those 3.5mm will be volume controlled as well.

Lol I thought so too. But when I enquired about the NVX XUBT3 module, I was told that the volume functionality will only control the bluetooth device. Sorry for my dumbness around it but I assumed the same for the Metra and Memphis modules.

Here's another way to look at it. If I connect my JBL Flip4's 3.5mm output (headphone jack) to my amp's rca input, I will control volume from the Flip4 OR the phone. They each have the ability to control the volume going to the 3.5mm output. Capisce?

I understand that for sure, But your JBL Flip4 has an inbuilt amp of some sort just like a headunit would, Which would act as a preamp no? Are you saying those rocker switch modules also have a pre amp built in which allows them to control the aux volume as well as the bluetooth volume?

None of these are easily available in the UK where im based so cant exactly got to an audio place here (after covid19) to test them out before buying, hence why im trying to find out as much as i can before buying something

Thanks

Like squirrel! said, it is a master volume. It will definitely control the volume to your amps. Volume has to go from the phone, through the rocker, then the amp. Have you ever used a bluetooth dongle? Same exact feature. A bluetooth dongle will power a set of regular headphones for a long time. So yes, it has built in preamp.
15891351964872354743436511967070.jpg

Like squirrel! said, it is a master volume. It will definitely control the volume to your amps. Volume has to go from the phone, through the rocker, then the amp. Have you ever used a bluetooth dongle? Same exact feature. A bluetooth dongle will power a set of regular headphones for a long time. So yes, it has built in preamp.

Yes I get that. It will control the master volume of the bluetooth connected device. But it would be limited to the output of it. Just as your dongle connected to your headphones, They will be limited to the volume capacity of what the source can get to that you have paired to it. So in my case, there wouldnt be much amplication coming from the phone as you would have from a Headunit. Im not looking to have the full functionality of what a headunit will offer otherwise id just stick to it. Im just trying to see what I can connect instead to control the master volume of the amplifier no matter what is connected to the RCA inputs on it. I totally get what your saying, also appreciate your help. But not sure if im explaining myself properly for everyone to understand?
If these rocker switches have a Line Driver in them that will amplify the source sound after the source is maxed out then thats perfect. Can you confirm this? Thats why the other option was a cheap DSP that have a master volume knob but dont want to over complicate things more than they are now lol

Thanks

Aww snap! I totally get it now. In that case, the remote knobs that the amp has, totally control the full volume of said amp. But fyi, those units you were scrutinizing, will provide the same signal to an amp that a headunit will.

Yes but they would be limited to the max volume of the phone, Unless from what I understand they then have a pre-amp built in to increase the volume?
So for example, I connected one of those bluetooth modules to my home hifi amp, the volume control on the bluetooth maxed out the volume of the phone but the sound output of the speakers were very low. If I was to set the Hifi amps volume on max and then control the volume from just the Bluetooth module then it would give me full play of the volume of the hifi but controlled from the bluetooth module.

From this I understand that in the car scenario, I would need to set the master volume of the amp to max preferably with a master remote knob and then never touch it. Then just use the volume buttons of those rocker switch modules to have the control of the amps full volume control

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.