Head Units: Bestbuy: What makes a head Unit "good"?

I have just a regular Ipod Nano.. i dont really need a USB input but an AUX is a must.. The first Pioneer deck is basically the same deck i have in my truck, but mine was almost $300 off crutchfield and is a premier series.. I really dont care for it. I would like a much simplier deck. I like the old alpine's and the simple settings they had. Sony used to make some pretty simple decks as well

Install it your self I install headunits in 15 minutes unless it's a double din or the dash is a pos I you already have a alpine installed buy a alpine and just pull the old one out and plug the new one in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/happydance.gif.a963168fea27d8453c3ec467ddcf9e1c.gif

I'd go with the KDC-X494 for the price. It looks almost identical to the 395 but it's got a 24 bit DAC. I know with Kenwoods, you're able to pass the iPod through the DSP so it's worth having the better DAC for practically the same price. There's also nothing wrong with factory refurb items. Whatever was wrong was fixed and they are all hand tested to ensure proper function. Refurbs often undergo more quality control checks than NIB items off the assembly line.

If i only knew what your talking about.. ha. Ill take your word for it though.

That makes sense on the refurbished items.. So it that x494 a good one to buy? I will spend up to $200 i just need anything to "techincal"

What makes a good head unit? In my view,

Bluetooth phone support

Time alignment (which you can setup yourself, some kenwoods only have preset settings)

2 RCA outputs (4v or 5v, don't care about amp for rear speakers)

A good selection of crossovers frequencies and slopes. Better be in 10Hz increments from 50 to 100Hz.

USB input, and hopeful not right smack on the face plate of the head unit..

From my experiences, the realistic price for this is around $230-$300 depending on where you buy it. If you remove TA feature, several head units priced near $150 exist, but in my view SQ makes it worth it to have TA.

Im thinking of running over to best buy and talk to them about having a headunit installed.. Is this a decent idea? Ive always had my good buddy install me headunits..
Im looking to spend around $150, i am will look at a rather "simple" unit.. What do you guys recommend?

Just for reference ive had an alpine 9831, still have cause the RCA outlets crapped out and i know have a poineer premeir unit in my truck and im not crazy about..
dont feed bigbox retail bro, and best buy cant do anything with out screwing it up somewhere, please go to your local shop not bestbuy, help the little guy, not the retail monster eating his business

check this unit out
kenwood kdc-x395 Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

highlights are: 4volt front, rear, sub. usb, 3 band eq. price is 140 USE CODE 3a825 and get $20 off.

so 120 for a nice deck and all install great. can beat that. am thinking about getting it

That's a decent HU. I'm running one at the moment. Really HU won't last 2 years these days so IMO it's silly to spend big bux on them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.