ISO 90's Alpine Head Units

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 1983 all original Toyota Cressida. The car came with a Toyota branded EQ and Cassette tape HU. I'd like to keep the "Green / Orange" theme and simplicity to match the interior of the car without moving to the newer "feature rich" HU's of today. I've been looking at 90's Alpine units on Ebay like the 7803S and Alpine 3331 EQ. I'm sure I'll get some type of backlash like, "why" or "sound quality". There is no music in my car currently. I'd prefer to have some working music in a somewhat era appropriate look over features of modern head units. Any old school recommendations appreciated!

Attachments

• cressidaradio.jpg
    cressidaradio.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 20
New alpine head units, look 30 years old.

If you want to have fun, you can search foreign ebay sites. Ebay japan https://www.ebay.co.jp/ should have something. Good luck navigating it, but they make retro looking new head units that have all the new features.

Not sure how set you are on this, but after giving you what you wanted, yeah, I'm definitely going to try to talk you out of this. Do you have tapes? Most of the basic head units have more than a 7band eq. The problem with all of these selections I've given you so far. Is you're going to pay at least twice as much for anything in decent condition that is old, just because it's old.

Newer head units will let you adjust the display colors to anything you want (including green and orange) and adjust the brightness of em.

If it was me, WHAT I WOULD DO, and I was dead set on something like this, is go to your local auto yard/ pick n pull. Check out ALL the old vehicles you can find and see if something really strikes your interest. Cost you maybe $20-$30, and if it doesn't work you return it, or what the heck, try to fix it. Honestly though, tapes are 30 year old technology, and flash drives are so much better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...