Head Unit Problem turns off and on Randomly

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey Everyone,

I have a Pioneer DEH-4200UB and I've been very happy with it. I purchased it at a local shop here in town and they installed it for me. The problem is that after a few months of use the head unit powers off completely. I took it back to the shop and they inspected the wiring and came to a conclusion that they should just install a new head unit. So I had the new one for a lil while and oddly enough it had the same old problem.

The strangest thing is that the head unit actually saves all of its memory like time and what I was playing at the time. Does that mean only the faceplate is powering off?

Sometimes she'll work for a good long while but other times it would go off-on-off-on-off-on constantly then stay on for a while again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

oh and it's installed in a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L V-8 if that matters.

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad ground or switched power source. Pull the deck and inspect the black wire and the red wire coming from the back of your HU. Make sure the wires look to be in good shape and that all their connections are secure. I don't think you'd get two units in a row with faceplates that power off. The fact that it retains memory is telling me that the constant power wire is fine(this is the yellow wire behind the deck), as that is what keep memory. A bad switched power wire or ground can both make a unit turn on/off intermittently. Not to mention that since they swapped to the same deck, they likely reused the harness that was there so any issue with wiring would have remained untouched.

Sounds like a bad ground or switched power source. Pull the deck and inspect the black wire and the red wire coming from the back of your HU. Make sure the wires look to be in good shape and that all their connections are secure. I don't think you'd get two units in a row with faceplates that power off. The fact that it retains memory is telling me that the constant power wire is fine(this is the yellow wire behind the deck), as that is what keep memory. A bad switched power wire or ground can both make a unit turn on/off intermittently. Not to mention that since they swapped to the same deck, they likely reused the harness that was there so any issue with wiring would have remained untouched.
Hey daboyfrumdabx,

I appreciated the quick response. I'll pull the head unit out after work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.