Head unit for Android phone?

Alex81
10+ year member

Is there a HU for android phone? Under all descriptions it always lists the iPhone, and from what I understand

certain models like a Pioneer I am looking to buy will only accept transfers from iPhone's.

Would you be able to upload data via bluetooth?

the new pioneers allow you to stream music / phone data thru bluetooth. I have one and do it all the time, you can even change the songs thru the headunit (pandora, spotify, music players)

most newer models, like already said, accept bluetooth streaming audio so thats no issue. controlling your phone through the hu interface however, is more rare for android. some of the newer pioneers do it, but be sure to check each model number to ensure before buying, because some do and some dont

The problem with Android is that the mini USB, unlike the ipod's 30 pin connector, isn't able to interface in the same way with headunits. So, although the headunit can charge the device through USB and access an Android phone like a hard drive, it lack's the ipod cable's capability to send/receive control commands, stream audio, etc. So, the only way to send commands is through Bluetooth, which Pioneer has just started implementing. You could always connect an Android phone to any old headunit through Bluetooth, and use the pause and next track buttons, but you wouldn't get any indication on the head unit of what song you were listening to, change playlists, etc.

As mentioned, you need to clear up what "upload data" means. If you mean that you want it to be able to do phone calls, then all Bluetooth receivers would work. If you want it to stream audio, the magic term you are looking for is A2DP Bluetooth. And if you want to be able to read what song you're listening to, then you need a receiver that states so, like the latest Pioneers. Alternatively, any headunit which includes Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 or 1.4 will give you the track and artist name on the headunit as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.