HDD and high db

hard drives can skip if the bass is to hard it all depends on the hard drive it self and how much rattling it can take before it skips alot of trial and error or get lucky. trust me i made a hd skip before by banging it with my hand.

Most external hard drives that are ment for travel can take a lot. Given, hard drives are still very sensitive, external ones can take more. A lot depends on how you mount it. I'm putting mine between memory foam (lining my soon-to-be amp rack with it) and also mounting it to the bottom of the box, so it should be TOO much of a problem.

with 16 gig flash drives and huge i-pods, you should not need a hdd, flash drives will only be getting bigger
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2013240522+1309425474&name=16GB

just get usb
Why spend $130+ on 16GB flash drives, when you can get a 250GB External hard drive for $85 + power inverter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148233

I'd take 250GB of storage over 16GB. Do I need that much? No, but why spend more for less?

Why spend $130+ on 16GB flash drives, when you can get a 250GB External hard drive for $85 + power inverter?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148233

I'd take 250GB of storage over 16GB. Do I need that much? No, but why spend more for less?

lets see power inverter, size, ease of use, bounce it all you want, no install of extra gear, plus the issue was the bouncing, did not see the op ask for the most cost effective

3.5" hard drives are not remotely durable compaired to notebook drives. It's no contest between flash media. Plus, the dirty signal from a power inverter could really screw with the hard drive.

i don't think HDD's skip, they FAIL. Those heads ride so close to the platters, a good jarring could end it. An SPL burp would not qualify as a jarring though.

I like the idea of the USB thumb drive HU's. They are not legal in USACi yet though.

lets see power inverter, size, ease of use, bounce it all you want, no install of extra gear, plus the issue was the bouncing, did not see the op ask for the most cost effective
Even with the power inverter, it costs less than a 16GB flash drive. I'll admit, flash media would be more optimal, as there is no moving parts, but if you can't find a place to mount something that's 7.5" x 1.6" x 6.4" (exact specs), you have more storage space problams than with just music.

The only con of this is, as I said, moving parts, and loss of a cig lighter (if you don't want to soilder the leads).

As I said, mounted correctly, it should not be a pbolem. In a SPL setup, even hitting 150+dB, that vibration would not be a problem at all. The most problem is if you're for some reason going off-roading in your car. In situation of driving on normal road, it shouldn't bounce enough to cause damage to the HDD, especially if mounted correctly.

One thing I failed tom mention. As someone else mentioned, ones with a smaller form factor (usually 2.5") are MENT for travel. These are the ones powered strictly from USB, they're ment to be used on laptops, and designed to be durable enough for travel. Bouncing from driving won't be a problem at all, and they're the same price as a flash drive for 160GB of storage.

some ipods have hard drives in them. micro ones. flash drives are the best because they don't use any moving parts. out of the hdds, notebook/shock resistant hdds are the best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.