HD-DVD: It's Here, and it's Spectacular

Wow, you really are working hard at this aren't you little man.

Arlene Baisa, 52, of Grass Valley (Nevada County), was looking for a new CD player and wound up with a Divx machine. She loves the sound, the picture clarity and the freedom from video store hassles.

This is a quote from your link. I will say that you are half right but I will also say that I am half right as well. Divx was more of an attack on the DVD rental market then it was on the DVD retail market. This was a way of killing the DVD rental competition which entailed renting regular DVDs like we do still today. They used to boast how Divx discs wouldn't have smudges and scratches on them like a DVD from the rental store would have on them when you rented them.

So when you think about it the DVD format was safe the whole time and therefore never threatened. People (like myself) that wanted to own and collect DVDs already could do so and Divx never had a chance of stopping that so in a sense was never a competing format. Unless you want to split hairs that is.

Video stores like DVD, because they can still rent movies on disc just as they do on videocassette. But store owners say Digital Video Express hurts them with its no-return appeal.

You see this is what rental stores had to say about Divx. They were going to be crushed if Divx were to catch on. I think I speak for eveyone that I'm sure as hell glad that it didn't.

Oh I think you are not at fault, it's people that call each other names insted of just stating the facts and moving on.....
Who ever would do that??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

HD-DVD already got the jump on Blu-Ray, plus, it seems as though the hardware is cheaper ($500 for the Toshiba HD-DVD vs. $1000 or so for the Sony and Samsung Blu-Ray players). Neither are going to sell well at those prices (Most people don't have HDTV's yet and don't care much for it, plus DVD Players are cheap and DVD's look great on standard def TV's).

I think HD-DVD will definately have the lead until the PS3 is released. If the PS3 is reasonable in price, a good amount of homes will have a Blu-Ray player. Its like how PS2 helped the DVD format. People will buy the PS3 for the kids or themselves for games, realize that it plays Blu-Ray movies, and use it as a Blu-Ray player (helping Blu-Ray movie sales).

And I don't care how good they look, I'm not buying $30+ movies, and I doubt most people are. IMHO, who ever gets the under $200 players out with movies at and under $20 will win.

HD-DVD already got the jump on Blu-Ray, plus, it seems as though the hardware is cheaper ($500 for the Toshiba HD-DVD vs. $1000 or so for the Sony and Samsung Blu-Ray players). Neither are going to sell well at those prices (Most people don't have HDTV's yet and don't care much for it, plus DVD Players are cheap and DVD's look great on standard def TV's).I think HD-DVD will definately have the lead until the PS3 is released. If the PS3 is reasonable in price, a good amount of homes will have a Blu-Ray player. Its like how PS2 helped the DVD format. People will buy the PS3 for the kids or themselves for games, realize that it plays Blu-Ray movies, and use it as a Blu-Ray player (helping Blu-Ray movie sales).

And I don't care how good they look, I'm not buying $30+ movies, and I doubt most people are. IMHO, who ever gets the under $200 players out with movies at and under $20 will win.
Agreed. I'm perfectly happy with my existing DVD collection and player. I can't see jumping on any bandwagon just to have the BEST there is to offer when 2nd best (standard DVD) looks and sounds just fine to me.

But hey, when the PS3 comes out and I finally break down and buy one maybe I'll look into some Blu Ray movies.

DVD's look great on my 32" LCD and while I know that HD-DVD's will look better, I just don't think it will be $500 + $25-$30 per disc better. And what great selection we have to choose from, The Last Samurai, woohoo!!

Seriously, it was a pretty weak launch as far as the movies go, I was very surprised that there were just 4 movies at launch, and people called the Xbox 360's launch games lame, there were 20 to choose from at least.

The PS3 will also be my first Blu-Ray player, so until then, no High Def movies for me.

blu-ray rocks...i saw a prototype hooked up to sony's 70" qualia and it is phenominal... i cant wait for the PS3...xbox 360s gonna drop off the face of the earth..max of 8.5gb on the 360 (no one is gonna buy that lame external hd dvd drive) for games compared 50gb for the ps3...we're gonna be doin things in games we never thought possible

blu-ray rocks...i saw a prototype hooked up to sony's 70" qualia and it is phenominal... i cant wait for the PS3...xbox 360s gonna drop off the face of the earth..max of 8.5gb on the 360 (no one is gonna buy that lame external hd dvd drive) for games compared 50gb for the ps3...we're gonna be doin things in games we never thought possible
Random thoughts.

Most hardcore gamers will eventually buy all the next gen consoles, ie

I have PS2 and Xbox because I like certain games on both. There is no

reason other than money that you can't buy both systems.

Many gamer are lured to eye candy games and many of these games are

boring to play. I can see more and more lame fluff added to games because

they have more storage.

A great game like BFMEII for the PC has 6 CDROM's, IIRC a 5 gig install.

Lets assume for a moment that someone makes a game that has a 20 gig

install, what is the issue if the game shipped with 3 discs for the Xbox360?

MSFT has to make a business decision to enter the market fast. They are caught

in a hi-def format war and obvisously they are stuck, but for now their

solution is fine. Later, they can add the latest hardware to the Xbox360 and

sell it as a new rev.

MSFT wants to kill Sony and give USA back the gaming crown the japs took

from the USA long ago //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif I like MSFT for this very reason, it's probably the only

USA company today that has the resources to attack Sony and they don't even

care if they take a loss in order to get marketshare.

Anyone really interested in movie playback will always buy a dedicated player,

not a video game console.

Comedy;
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067

PS2 is still outselling Xbox360

Point is, the mass market still accepts mediocrity
Why would that mean mediocrity?? I mean yes the PS2 is still out selling the 360 and for good reason, a few actually.

1- Tons of games available on PS2, meanwhile the 360 still has very few in comparison.

2- The 360 is just a beefed up version of the original xbox. Same DVD format, same laser, more beefed up processing. Thats it. Sony's PS3 meanwhile will be bluray which is revolutionary and truly a NEXT GEN. console. That is what people are waiting for.

3 - The main reason PS2 is outselling the 360 is the fact that the price of the PS2 has gone WAYYYYY down as of late.

Why would that mean mediocrity?? I mean yes the PS2 is still out selling the 360 and for good reason, a few actually.
1- Tons of games available on PS2, meanwhile the 360 still has very few in comparison.

2- The 360 is just a beefed up version of the original xbox. Same DVD format, same laser, more beefed up processing. Thats it. Sony's PS3 meanwhile will be bluray which is revolutionary and truly a NEXT GEN. console. That is what people are waiting for.

3 - The main reason PS2 is outselling the 360 is the fact that the price of the PS2 has gone WAYYYYY down as of late.
its gone down like $20 since 360 has been released

360 wont drop off the face of the earth, it will be strong for a while, even when ps3 is out, whats the price? 600 ouch, by then 360 willl be lowered to 300 mark my word on it,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.