hd-dvd blue ray owners

what do you think will win the battle?

• hd-dvd

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • blue ray

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Well, 2 months ago I would have agreed. But since both have become available, HD-DVD has already proven to be superior in picture quality. Reason is the codec they are both using. HD-DVD is using VC-1, but for some reason, even though blu-ray supports VC-1, they are still using MPEG2 compression. End result is blu-ray ends up with an inferior picture.
Secondly, Sony lost their biggest supporter this month, Pioneer. Pioneer said that they were blu-ray only, but after seeing Sony's financial report and the sales of blu-ray vs HD-DVD, they opted to also join the HD-DVD front. Their new player will be out very soon.

Third is the Sony investors. They are calling for Sony to drop the format, and go back to being the "fun" Sony. Some major players have threatened to pull out completely. Sony has not pulled a profit in 6 years.

Fourth, Sony has never won a format war. You have Beta, MiniDisc, SACD, UMD, Atrax3, MemoryStick. This list continues, all that is shown by Sony is failure in these regards. With blu-ray, it is already following the same patterns as the previous attempts.

If you want more background information, check out the latest Wired magazine. It goes into more depth about everything. Problem is, Sony has bet the farm. If blu-ray fails, then Sony goes under.
I agree that Sony tries to keep things for themselves, like when when DVD - r's where selling Sony came out with the "+" r(or was it the other way around) none the less Sony does come out out with decent products(not reffering to their car audio branch) but the only thing i hate most about sony is when you busy a SOny product whether it be a psp or digital camera even their tv's, they have the stupidist hting about using "Sony products" like a Sony memory stick,memory stick duo, and even the sony batteries. But i do have good hopes with the blu-ray concept

looks like sony is shitting their pants right now...

hd-dvd add on $177 in japan

and prices should be 150-200 here in the us might even be cheaper for the begining

so 10 million 360s versus 500,000 ps3s

yah i know everyone with a 360 wont buy it but not everyone running a ps3 will buy blue ray discs

just say ms really wants to take them down and drops the price to 120 i know at least half of the 360 owners will buy the add on. jesus 177 cant even get you a quality dvd player. and your gonna get the BEST PICTURE OUT THEIR RIGHT NOW FOR 150-200!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...