Have some questions about CD-5000/ 8455's

Intercooler
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Maryland
I assume both are roughly the same. Anyone using Eclipse's website E-iserv? Seems neat but I can only get the Easy section. This 5000 has so many little things you can do with it so I am curious how many of them everyone uses and which ones? In playing with it I have figured a lot of them out but some of the advanced features like time alignment and PEQ has me confused. For the PEQ does each of the 7 bands have three levels you can adust or is it to just set a level? Time alignment is something I hope to play with later when all my other stuff is transferred into this car but if someone could help me out with a PEQ tutorial that would be awesome! Thanks!

I assume both are roughly the same. Anyone using Eclipse's website E-iserv? Seems neat but I can only get the Easy section. This 5000 has so many little things you can do with it so I am curious how many of them everyone uses and which ones? In playing with it I have figured a lot of them out but some of the advanced features like time alignment and PEQ has me confused. For the PEQ does each of the 7 bands have three levels you can adust or is it to just set a level? Time alignment is something I hope to play with later when all my other stuff is transferred into this car but if someone could help me out with a PEQ tutorial that would be awesome! Thanks!

PEQ tuning isn't to complicated, although it helps to have an RTA and a disc with pink noise recorded on it. If you have anyquestions specifically, we'll help you out. Otherwise, as an overview, PEQ is just an Eq setup that allows you to independently adjust the frequency, Q, and level of all 7 bands.

Band 1 frequencies are 63-80-100Hz

Band 2 frequencies are 125-160-200Hz

Band 3 frequencies are 250-315-400-500Hz

Band 4 frequencies are 630-800-1K-1.25KHz

Band 5 frequencies are 1.6K-2K-2.5K-3.15KHz

Band 6 frequencies are 4K-5K-6.3K-8KHz

Band 7 frequencies are 10K-12.5K-16KHz

Bands are adjustable in a range of 10dB (+/- 5dB in 1 dB steps) and have 3 different Q curves (range of adjustment), normal, narrow (sharp adjustment) and wide (slow adjustment). Tuning is easiest done with an RTA or buying the separate mic and using the autoPEQ feature to uploaded your response curve to Eclipse's E-iserve network, and autocorrected them.

Time Alignment is very straight forward on the CD5000/CD8445 simply select the type of vehicle, speaker location, listening position. If you were curious as to what the delays numbers were exactly, log on to E-iserve and you can view the delay settings for every possible combination.

TA on the CD8455 can be very intimidating. Eclipse provides you a formula to use to measure the distance from each speaker to the desired listening position that calculates the amount of delay to set each channel independently. You can also adjust the level of each channel independently for 0dB - (-30dB) or muted (-infinity dB).

PEQ as an overview, PEQ is just an Eq setup that allows you to independently adjust the frequency, Q, and level of all 7 bands.
Band 1 frequencies are 63-80-100Hz

Band 2 frequencies are 125-160-200Hz

Band 3 frequencies are 250-315-400-500Hz

Band 4 frequencies are 630-800-1K-1.25KHz

Band 5 frequencies are 1.6K-2K-2.5K-3.15KHz

Band 6 frequencies are 4K-5K-6.3K-8KHz

Band 7 frequencies are 10K-12.5K-16KHz

I am new to this so I guess I can look like an idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Say I want to tune band one. Do I adjust 63 then move on to 80 and finish up with 100 or do I select one of those for that band and adjust just that level for that band? I hope what I just said makes sense.

I am new to this so I guess I can look like an idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Say I want to tune band one. Do I adjust 63 then move on to 80 and finish up with 100 or do I select one of those for that band and adjust just that level for that band? I hope what I just said makes sense.

No, you can only select one of the 3 to 4 available frequencies for each band to adjust. Thats why having an RTA is handy. You can use that to determine around what frequency in each band needs the most attention. Say you run the RTA and see that you have a major rise in response near 70Hz and another at 300Hz, you would simply set band 1 to 80Hz and skip over to band 3 and set that at 315Hz. Then you would adjust both accordingly.

Does the optional microphone do any kind of RTA measurement? I thought that was the advantage of that (you measure it, you plug that bad boy in and it helps you adjust (granted its pretty rough, but possibly a good start).

Juan

No, you can only select one of the 3 to 4 available frequencies for each band to adjust. Thats why having an RTA is handy. You can use that to determine around what frequency in each band needs the most attention. Say you run the RTA and see that you have a major rise in response near 70Hz and another at 300Hz, you would simply set band 1 to 80Hz and skip over to band 3 and set that at 315Hz. Then you would adjust both accordingly.

Does the optional microphone do any kind of RTA measurement? I thought that was the advantage of that (you measure it, you plug that bad boy in and it helps you adjust (granted its pretty rough, but possibly a good start).
Juan

Yeah, for sure. They mic will plot a system response curve based on a series of test tones generated by the HU. Actually had a chance to try it on a couple of AVN recently. Worked good on them. It is a little rough compared to a AC but, like you said, it is a start. Couple that with the ability to upload your curve to E-iserv and allow it to auto equalize.

weird under pro mode on the 8455, if i decided to use all 5 bands on my front chs for example within 80 and 400hz i could...

The standard 7band under reg mode must be different

weird under pro mode on the 8455, if i decided to use all 5 bands on my front chs for example within 80 and 400hz i could...
x2. i've never messed with the 8455 in normal mode but as 3.5 said if i could use the frequences 4-10khz for my tweets i could as well.

You can use all seven bands simultaneously. I just ment that you have to stay within the framework of the 3-4 selectable frequencies in each band. Pro mode PEQ is way different than the ADVANCED mode PEQ. In Pro mode you have a grip of frequencies that are available, spaced 1/3 octave apart, that you can set for any of the 10 bands. You just aren't able to reselect for another band.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.