have an idea....

Participant count
  • Participant list

d2k
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
uk
hi all.......//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i need to know which part of this subwoofer is used for heat dissapation, i.e where is its heatsink..??

DMX 15

DMX-15.jpg

if its just the lower part of the basket where the tiny vents are, maybe i can construct something to watercool it..??

i'd utilize WC kit from enthusiast PC companies... thats the easy part, the harder part is either constructing some form of additional heatsink which will fit snugly up against whats already there..

or just forming an epoxy casing with flow in & out...??

the sound pressure wont affect heat radiation so water cooling would work well if good contact can be made..

this should see the subs thermal limits being increased greatly, which from what i can gather is more susceptible to failure than general mechanical limitations..

so.... what do ya think..??? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

well, the only place for contact to cool the coils, is the coils/former......basically moving parts, so no, you are not going to get coolant near close enough. it may make a difference with cooling fins next to the coil, but you want the magnetic field there, and it would probably be a huge undertaking/re-designing. vented pole=pieces and above the magnet are the cooling areas. getting hot air away from the sub, as mentioned, imo

like said the coil is a moving part with electricity passing through it so watercooling isnt an option, well surely you can do it and hype it up as it working for a sales gimic as people will believe almost anything

I think it would be easier and more cost effective to just mount a cooling fan in your sub box.
i've seen where some company had a little fan mounted on their motor in the vent...it wasn't electric it was mechanical...i guess the bass made it turn...i want to say it was an old SPL brand motor I tore down a few years ago...

I think it would be easier and more cost effective to just mount a cooling fan in your sub box.
fitting a fan in the sub box simply wouldn't work b/c of the SPL involved, you'd need some serious CFM to fight against the woofer when its really pumping

that's why heat would have to be channelled.

well, the only place for contact to cool the coils, is the coils/former......basically moving parts, so no, you are not going to get coolant near close enough. it may make a difference with cooling fins next to the coil, but you want the magnetic field there, and it would probably be a huge undertaking/re-designing. vented pole=pieces and above the magnet are the cooling areas. getting hot air away from the sub, as mentioned, imo
so no area on the external side of the basket actually gets hot..??

b/c if it did this could work, i know there's no way i could get direct contact with the coil, but if heat is transferred to ANY part of the casing i should be able to increase its cooling ability..

i actually have alot of the PC cooling gear lying around, so i might attempt something once my idea develops somewhat..

well, if you want to give it a shot, there are 2 things i can think of. first, build a heat sink out of "super copper" or aluminum that fits in the pole piece, and, if there is space, between the spyder and magnet. that is where all the heat travels to cool the coil. take readings of the coolant. if you are not getting any heat playing it loud in under 1 min, then it's most likely trapping more heat than doing any good

well, if you want to give it a shot, there are 2 things i can think of. first, build a heat sink out of "super copper" or aluminum that fits in the pole piece, and, if there is space, between the spyder and magnet. that is where all the heat travels to cool the coil. take readings of the coolant. if you are not getting any heat playing it loud in under 1 min, then it's most likely trapping more heat than doing any good
the above sub has no pole vent.....

here's what im thinking....

View attachment 26522445

if i can create an ALI or COPPER billet block, it would certainly keep that area of the sub basket icey cold, whether or not this would be enough to lower coil thermal limits remains to be seen..

but that's the closest im gone get to the coil on this particular sub...

we shall see..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

just remember- it does need to let air pass.....

right...... so a finned edge on either side of the block to give the basket some air movement from beneath the spider..... i dont really wanna just have holes drilled into it as that'll make the internal water flow pretty complex.

im thinking for daily music it may not help too much, but burping could benefit greatly....

i'll have to slam my sub for a few hours & physically see if heat is transferred to the basket.....

imagine a WC kit for subs....... increasing RMS capability far past rated, even on entry level stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

How about an inverse mount and you turn your trunk into a refrigerator. Could handle massive amounts of power and shake a mean chilled martini.

How about an inverse mount and you turn your trunk into a refrigerator. Could handle massive amounts of power and shake a mean chilled martini.
not a bad idea...... i could stock some ice lollies for all the teenie boppers when they're creaming over my BASS in supermarket car parks!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.