has anyone tried this?

dirtidan
10+ year member

hi! i am running a 3 way system now. i have diamond audio hex series speakers for my 3 way system. my mid bass are 6.5 inch kevlar cone speakers. i also have a 3sixty.2. the front outputs of my 3sixty runs my mid bass at 50hz to 200hz. the rear outputs run my mid range and tweeter at 150hz high pass. the hex crossovers take over for the separation of the mid range and tweet. they are running on 2 separate amps. and i love the way it sounds! but i want to experiment and see what i get...

here is my question i am thinking of changing my mid bass to 8 inch re audio subs. thats the re audio series. whicth will run from 50hz to 200hz as well.

do you guys think this is a good idea?

and what will it take to put 8 inch subs on my door? i need a 7 inch mounting hole. can i retain the original hole and just put a spacer so i don't have to make the whole bigger. the speaker gets thinner in the back part anyways

try running the midbass slightly higher and see if you like it. oh and is it crossed at 12 or 24
i probably wouldnt run the re 8s as midbass. especially IB
i run the midbass at 24db slope. i dont want to hear any voice from the mid bass just thump. i thought of doing this because i see morel has 9 inch mid bass and other brands have 8 inch once. so i want to hear if this one will do the trick.

but dont get me wrong the diamonds have great mid bass. i was just thinking i want to hear what this would sound like.

RE advised against using the RE8 as a midbass. It was designed as a subwoofer and should be used as such.

Just because a driver is smaller (8"), it doesn't inherently mean it'll play well into higher frequency ranges.

And really, considering the quantity of reasonably priced 8" drivers that were designed to operate as a midbass, and can do so with exceptional results, I don't know why you'd even want to piss around with something like the RE8.

well ok this is why i wanted to do this. i lovedthe thup of my midbass on the diamond audios. i could feel it on my knee. its a different hard base that goes so well with the rumble of the sub. i was just thinking an 8 inch sub would hit harder. i am guessing that the type of base that comes out of the sub is controlled by the crossover anyways.

i will be running it at band pass from 50hz till 200hz. and most sube would do this easy some subs are rated till 400hz.

Manufacturer rated frequency response is meaningless. Just because a manfacturer rates a driver to "400hz" it doesn't mean it'll do so very well.

If you're looking for an 8" driver of reasonable price with known good midbass performance you're search should begin with;

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=143&products_id=1386

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-376

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=143&products_id=1605

http://meniscusaudio.com/css-trio8-p-946.html

That list certainly isn't exhaustive, but it's a good start of drivers that cost approximately the same as the RE8 sells for @ woofersetc.com

Maybe not all of them will get you down to a solid 50hz....but you're looking for a midbass, not a subwoofer.

trust me and look into the midbass drivers. while it looks good on paper and all to have most 8's it doesnt actually work so well. I was building a complete Rockford system and i bought some HX2 8s for the purpose of midbass and that didnt turn out so well. And those were nice ass subs. Just trust me regarding the re 8s... last year we sold over 200 at the shop and put them in every non prefab box you could imagine and they are really half ass playing midbass. My hertz HV200s put them to shame.

Oh and regarding the crossover freq. as long as they are infront of you you should try it with the higher xover. For the longest time i had mine setup just like your thinking with no vocals from them but with that crazy close crossover settings i had to turn up the gain quite a bit. Ive since changed it to a higher freq and sloped the eq a bit and they play just as loud if not louder on a lower gain setting but they move alot less so its an overall better/ more reliable situation

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.