H/O alternator questions

Cm_low

Not ready to pull the trigger yet but wanted to get some answers for future electrical upgrades. When I am looking for a h/o alternator for my car do I have to be looking for vehicle specific alternators or are they interchangeable among some vehicles? It sounds like a stupid question but I get each has specific mounting brackets and pulleys to match belts and such. I guess I am asking does anyone know if my vehicle has interchangeable alternators with other vehicles or is there like a specific category/class of alternators that fit a group of vehicles.

I have a 2012 chevy cruze LS. I believe it is a 120 amp stock alternator though I have seen other info saying 100 amp and 130 amp too. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks

There may be a few that could be interchangeable...but not sure. And only those who have/had them can speak up. There might be some that fit other years as well. For instance, s10 is a very popular vehicle, along with chevy, may fit other years besides just one and s10 blazer and s10 p/u.

I would be vehicle specific when ordering/buying one for your vehicle. This way you should get a direct bolt on plug and play type deal.

I can find new h/o alternators fairly easy on the Web but if I ever came across a used listing for decent price I wanted to know what I was looking for, does it have to be chevy cruze 2012 vehicle specific only or what? That is kind of the reason for the post and what I am looking for primarily but other info is welcome too.

Not ready to pull the trigger yet but wanted to get some answers for future electrical upgrades. When I am looking for a h/o alternator for my car do I have to be looking for vehicle specific alternators or are they interchangeable among some vehicles? It sounds like a stupid question but I get each has specific mounting brackets and pulleys to match belts and such. I guess I am asking does anyone know if my vehicle has interchangeable alternators with other vehicles or is there like a specific category/class of alternators that fit a group of vehicles.
I have a 2012 chevy cruze LS. I believe it is a 120 amp stock alternator though I have seen other info saying 100 amp and 130 amp too. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks
Some may be interchangeable between several vehicles but that's up to the auto makers and not that important to you and YOUR vehicle. Always get any alt for your vehicle precisely for YOUR vehicle.

John Kuthe...

Some may be interchangeable between several vehicles but that's up to the auto makers and not that important to you and YOUR vehicle. Always get any alt for your vehicle precisely for YOUR vehicle.
John Kuthe...
Why are you talking?

I already said that....only my comment was better.

Why are you talking?
I already said that....only my comment was better.
Your comments once again degenerated into being s ucky.

Besides multiple comments indicating the same solution is a pretty good indication it''s the best thing to do. Ya think? ;-)

John Kuthe,,,

Your comments once again degenerated into being s ucky.
Besides multiple comments indicating the same solution is a pretty good indication it''s the best thing to do. Ya think? ;-)

John Kuthe,,,
You have no business here if you had no exp....i.e. a HO alt.

I already added my many replies.

I can find new h/o alternators fairly easy on the Web but if I ever came across a used listing for decent price I wanted to know what I was looking for, does it have to be chevy cruze 2012 vehicle specific only or what? That is kind of the reason for the post and what I am looking for primarily but other info is welcome too.
Alternators normally have to be specific to the engine in the vehicle you have, as an alt is normally hanging off the side of the engine. Unless you wanna do alt adaptors for some specific reason.

John Kuthe...

I used to do auto repair years ago all the time. I worked on ALL my own aircooled VWs back in the 1980s and into the 1990s! A LOT!

You are only one person.

John Kuthe...
Oh so your a mechanic this week.

Keep dem lies coming.....

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Alternators normally have to be specific to the engine in the vehicle you have, as an alt is normally hanging off the side of the engine. Unless you wanna do alt adaptors for some specific reason.
John Kuthe...
Wrong. Some can fit other vehicles moron. Do the google search.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.