H/O Alternator Need Big Time Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Babbar Khalsa
10+ year member

Hey guys i am not experienced with alternators at all and know nothing about them i.e. I dont know what wires are connected to the alternator and where they go to or how they work and what can u do to upgrade alternators to high output alternators and get all the wiring correct ? Some knowledge and info from u experienced guys would be helpful to a begginer like me. This would be very much appreciated if someone could help.

i was planning on getting a high output alternator from a company but dont really understand the concept of wiring. Like idk how big the upgrade wire should be that is connecting from my pos term on alt and where/ how it is sopposed to lead to the battery and what other wiring is needed to take place during this.

output from the alternator is best to be 0 gauge wire. 4 gauge should work also, as long as youre not running tons of power. Goes from the alternator output to the battery, in some cases, itll actually go to the fuse box though. what kinda car?

you get an h/o alternator that fits your car, the factory harness should plug right into the h/o alternator. There is a positive post on the h/o that you run 0 guage to your batterys positive post, fused with 250-300amp anl fuse.

egg

output from the alternator is best to be 0 gauge wire. 4 gauge should work also, as long as youre not running tons of power. Goes from the alternator output to the battery, in some cases, itll actually go to the fuse box though. what kinda car?
Its a 03 2.7l toyota tacoma. I get what ur sayin bro. But when the 4 gauge wire is being connected where is the battery terminal taking place?

you get an h/o alternator that fits your car, the factory harness should plug right into the h/o alternator. There is a positive post on the h/o that you run 0 guage to your batterys positive post, fused with 250-300amp anl fuse.
egg
Ok i see. But on this positive post a wiring ring is needed for the 0 gauge wire right? And over this positive post that is on the alt is it going to be covered by the original rubber boot?

Ok i see. But on this positive post a wiring ring is needed for the 0 gauge wire right? And over this positive post that is on the alt is it going to be covered by the original rubber boot?
yes you will need a terminal ring to hook up the 0 guage to the positive post of the alternator, on h/o alternator it didnt have a boot, it just had a hex nut to secure it to the post. I did buy some of that liquid electrical tape stuff from advanced autoparts to be on the safe side. Just dip the brush into the liquid and put it over the nut and the terminal ring or where ever you may think it will contact the chasis or engine parts. To do the big 3, if you do all the above just secure another 0 guage ground wire to the chassis to a bolt on the engine and your done.

egg

yes you will need a terminal ring to hook up the 0 guage to the positive post of the alternator, on h/o alternator it didnt have a boot, it just had a hex nut to secure it to the post. I did buy some of that liquid electrical tape stuff from advanced autoparts to be on the safe side. Just dip the brush into the liquid and put it over the nut and the terminal ring or where ever you may think it will contact the chasis or engine parts. To do the big 3, if you do all the above just secure another 0 guage ground wire to the chassis to a bolt on the engine and your done.
egg
Ok i see, and is there a negative post or something like that because on my battery terminal i see a negative wire connect from the alt, how do i upgrade this? And going along with that there is a fuse wire (from the fuse box) going to my battery. Will the h/o alt and new battery harm the connection between the battery and fuse box with too much power or is my battery suppose to be the same voltage as the other old one? And what is the wiring harness for? (on the alternator). Sorry if am asking to many question that may be simple. Thanks bro!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.