Guy with 2001 boxster and his request...

2010HHRUMADBRUH
10+ year member

Gold Diamond Plus VIP+ Member
So this guy texts me about putting some sound in his boxster.

He states he doesn't want to spend a fortune at a shop, and he wants better all around sound, etc.

He's about 45 miles away. And I don't have gas money to just drive out there to check it out...

I told him he can leave the car here so I can work on it, since it's not a simple hour job. He basically wants everything replaced - door speakers, head unit, sub, amps, etc...

Says his car is too nice to just leave at someones house (even though my 2010 HHR probably cost the same, lol)

This guy can afford a porsche, but can't afford the gas to come to me? Does he not realize how much it would cost to have a shop come out to his house, assuming they would even do that? Do you not typically drive to the shop to get work done?

I have the city as well as the map on CL, but he asks where I am located...

I told him I don't have gas money, and I never drive out that way...but he keeps saying how I can call him whenever I am out that way...

I know I can make a lot of money on this guy, but I can't just drive out there to "listen" to his setup when I already know what needs to be done...

What would you guys do?

If you are broke then dont bother with it. Remeber if you can't afford to replace various things that you may break during an install then you are setting your self up for potential failure and financial issues.

Have you done any work on a Boxster befire? I';d tell im to call you when he gets what he wants to have installed. And actually Im in the process of getting a Mobile shop up and runnning just waiting on the guy to get hs new tool truck so I can setup the old one as a shop

If you are broke then dont bother with it. Remeber if you can't afford to replace various things that you may break during an install then you are setting your self up for potential failure and financial issues.
I took little consideration when I did my HHR and nothing got even slightly damaged, except for a few of the plastic door things, that hold the door panel in. I would take a lot better care of someone else's vehicle.

Have you done any work on a Boxster befire? I';d tell im to call you when he gets what he wants to have installed. And actually Im in the process of getting a Mobile shop up and runnning just waiting on the guy to get hs new tool truck so I can setup the old one as a shop
No. I planned to just look everything up on the net. (probably register at a boxster forum, etc)

He sounded drunk, and was pretty much hard set on me coming out there, so I don't think that's gonna happen.

Not worth your time unless you get money up.front. seems like you will have to fight to get paid.
True that. He mentioned several times about me just driving up there to "listen to it". Almost as if he was deliberately trying to make me waste gas.

Oh come on its a **** BOXSTER, not a lambo or something WTF!! Let him take his *** elsewhere then.
I know, right?!?!? Dude said he keeps it under the car cover and uses it as a weekend vehicle...triple black, rag top, etc...guess it's his "Baby" (too bad he doesn't realize that the boxster is basically the poor-mans super car)

know, right?!?!? Dude said he keeps it under the car cover and uses it as a weekend vehicle...triple black, rag top, etc...guess it's his "Baby" (too bad he doesn't realize that the boxster is basically the poor-mans super car)
Supercar? Its a Miata wit a porsche bbadge is it at least an S. As far as poor mans super car ill take Corvette over Boxster anyday twice on sundays

Tell him you want $20.00 in gas to come ''look'' at his stuff.That may be the kinda guy that will stand over your shoulder the whole time also.Not good.

I took little consideration when I did my HHR and nothing got even slightly damaged, except for a few of the plastic door things, that hold the door panel in. I would take a lot better care of someone else's vehicle.
However, things happen. Which is based on my previous statement.

Check costs for replacing panels and various trim to ensure you can afford to work on the car to begin with.

Actually the Corvette is a supercar. A Boxster, however, isn't.
The Corvette is a world class sports car.
Exactly a sports car. I own a 2006 Corvette Z06. Its not where near super car material. Yes its fast and can beat super cars, but I do not put it in that category. Its a 5 figure car, excluding the ZR1, compared to 6 and even 7 figure cars.

Exactly a sports car. I own a 2006 Corvette Z06. Its not where near super car material. Yes its fast and can beat super cars, but I do not put it in that category. Its a 5 figure car, excluding the ZR1, compared to 6 and even 7 figure cars.
I thought supercar was defined by performance, not price tag... if that is the case the Corvette is world class material.

If I were trying to get someone to do some work for me and they didn't have a shop or gas money, it wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'm nervous enough leaving my stuff at a legit shop, much less some yokel's house that can't afford gasoline.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

2010HHRUMADBRUH

10+ year member
Gold Diamond Plus VIP+ Member
2010HHRUMADBRUH
East Bay, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date