Grounding question

Bolt.

How do you figure you are going to securely attach a wire that is going through the item it is grounded to?

Why are you drilling anyway, there are plenty of places on your chassis already that will serve as perfect grounds.

Would it be best to drill a large hole to fit 0 gauge or just drill a smaller hole and use a bolt to connect the ground from the amp to another wire to the frame?
are you taking about drilling a hole in ur trunk?

wtf is going on here ?? lol
Lol that was my first thought. But I think he means he wants to pass through the bottom of the trunk to ground to the frame. So he's wondering if he should just run the cable through the floorwith a bigger hole or drill a smaller hole and terminate ends on both sides of the trunk floor on a bolt.

OP, you sure you can't find somewhere inside the vehicle?

I disagree with all of you. There are no grounds as good as a frame ground or a direct ofc run to the alternator case. Telling him to ground elsewhere because you were afraid to make a hole in your car is nonsense. Any other body ground will have a higher resistance than a frame ground. You might not be able to measure it with your DMM, but under a heavy load your voltage will reflect this.

Drill a hole big enough for a 0 gauge grommet. Run your 0 gauge thru and ground to chassis. Make sure after you grind the chassis down, drill a hole and run a bolt thru your ring terminal, and use a lock nut on the back side. Make sure you use a star washer on the backside of the ring terminal. Between the terminal and chassis. This way the ring terminal does not move around. To prevent rusting, after grounding, I like to coat the now grounded terminal and any bare metal with an undercoating. You can usually find the spray on undercoating at wal-mart or k-mart for about $7 a can.

Drill a hole big enough for a 0 gauge grommet. Run your 0 gauge thru and ground to chassis. Make sure after you grind the chassis down, drill a hole and run a bolt thru your ring terminal, and use a lock nut on the back side. Make sure you use a star washer on the backside of the ring terminal. Between the terminal and chassis. This way the ring terminal does not move around. To prevent rusting, after grounding, I like to coat the now grounded terminal and any bare metal with an undercoating. You can usually find the spray on undercoating at wal-mart or k-mart for about $7 a can.
So star washer between terminal and frame and coat. On my big three I didnt use a star washer but I did coat it XD. Thanks for the info and one last question, should I go to the frame even if my ground wire would be longer then 3ft?

So star washer between terminal and frame and coat. On my big three I didnt use a star washer but I did coat it XD. Thanks for the info and one last question, should I go to the frame even if my ground wire would be longer then 3ft?

If you are going directly to the chassis, more than three feet will be fine. The star washer, especially on the chassis, will just keep the terminal from sliding around. I recommend this only because, once your done theres a good chance you will never crawl back under there to recheck until you have a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.