Greed of BMW

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
First story: replacing coolant reservoir in my 2007 328i. BMW wanted $800. I got the genuine part for $150, $20 for coolant, fixed it for about $170-180.

Second story, with pics: Just yesterday, BMW quoted me $700 to fix my window. The actuator/ window slide had broke, my window wouldn't role up or down. They wanted $230 for a $150 part (that I don't even need). And then 2.3 hours or so of labor, which costs $470 somehow. It's going to cost me $7.28 to fix myself. Hmmm, $700 to fix from BMW or $7.28 to fix it myself. I bet you know what I spent last night doing.

Attachments

Reactions: macsdad

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Bro every car company is like that. Go to the dealership and buy a transmission filter for a new Corvette. It's $200, and is nothing more than a spin on filter that is basically just a $10 oil filter.

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Recruit
Nov 12, 2020
Literally minutes ago, I was just talking to a coworker who wants to get rid of his AMG for this very reason. But yeah, buy an expensive vehicle, car companies want to squeeze the turnip dry as much as possible

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Southern BMW dealerships are notorious price gougers. I dont know how many customers I ship parts to in the south.

Buck, I'll respond to your email after work in a couple hours.

Reactions: Buck

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
One of my friends had a BMW m6. The dealer charged $550 for a oil change and a air filter.
BMW specs a 10w60 synthetic oil that most part stores don’t carry. Even buying the oil and filter online it costs about $150 to change the oil.

• Wow
Reactions: Buck

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
The i8s require new door struts every other oil change interval.

Any Xdrive equipped vehicle needs the axles and front diff pulled for an oil pan gasket.

Domestic dealership rates are $125-150/hr

BMW and MB dealer rates are $150-175/hr

If you don't know how to wrench on your own and you don't want some hack shop doing it, you gotta pay.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Southern BMW dealerships are notorious price gougers. I dont know how many customers I ship parts to in the south.

Buck, I'll respond to your email after work in a couple hours.
Hit me up like I messaged you. Email isn't working the best ATM for some reason.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL

Any Xdrive equipped vehicle needs the axles and front diff pulled for an oil pan gasket.

If you don't know how to wrench on your own and you don't want some hack shop doing it, you gotta pay.
Yeah I had to get 2 main seals replaced. I can do the work, just don't have a car lift or a safe way to do it, or I would have.

I don't like the i8. Wtf is the point of it?

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Every warranty I've ever know says you have to take it to the dealer for service as well. That's the part I really hate.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
And then 2.3 hours or so of labor, which costs $470 somehow.
Because dealerships go by a book which lists various problems along with the time it takes to fix them. The salesman at the service desk is a salesman and doesn't know exactly what's wrong or how to fix things, they just look at a chart. Not sure if you've ever tried to run a car dealership but I'd guess it's pretty expensive to pay the utilities, mortgage, and maintenance, pay taxes, and hire and retain competent help.

Getting rare import or brand new model cars is also setting yourself up to be gouged in price as there's no aftermarket solutions and not a lot of people who know what they're doing. My brother bought the Ram 3500 this year and is getting bent over the barrel for simple stuff like filters, breaks, and just general maintenance stuff since everything is too new for anybody except GM to be selling compatible parts. Lastly BMW hasn't ever been known to be a cheap to maintain car. It's like owning a boat or a horse, you should know getting into it that everything to do with ownership is going to be luxury priced.

A friend of mine works in the service department at a Ford dealership in central Florida (Horse country, not rich old New Yorker country) and their shop rate is over 180$ per hour. Shop rates are very regional specific I think.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Don't get me started on horses.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Because dealerships go by a book which lists various problems along with the time it takes to fix them. The salesman at the service desk is a salesman and doesn't know exactly what's wrong or how to fix things, they just look at a chart. Not sure if you've ever tried to run a car dealership but I'd guess it's pretty expensive to pay the utilities, mortgage, and maintenance, pay taxes, and hire and retain competent help.

Getting rare import or brand new model cars is also setting yourself up to be gouged in price as there's no aftermarket solutions and not a lot of people who know what they're doing. My brother bought the Ram 3500 this year and is getting bent over the barrel for simple stuff like filters, breaks, and just general maintenance stuff since everything is too new for anybody except GM to be selling compatible parts. Lastly BMW hasn't ever been known to be a cheap to maintain car. It's like owning a boat or a horse, you should know getting into it that everything to do with ownership is going to be luxury priced.

A friend of mine works in the service department at a Ford dealership in central Florida (Horse country, not rich old New Yorker country) and their shop rate is over 180$ per hour. Shop rates are very regional specific I think.
Oh I'm sure it is super expensive. There's a Lambo dealer right next to the BMW dealership here.

It's just irritating that all they would have to do is replace a $7.28 part. It does not take them 2+ hours to do that. Anybody there with experience could know that out in an hour.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Oh I'm sure it is super expensive. There's a Lambo dealer right next to the BMW dealership here.

It's just irritating that all they would have to do is replace a $7.28 part. It does not take them 2+ hours to do that. Anybody there with experience could know that out in an hour.
I've never done a window actuator/modulator before. If I had to do this again, I could have the door panel off and the actuator out in about 30 mins, and I have several major health issues, you know?

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
This is why I only F with Toyota now a days. Dorkmobiles they may be but they are mfn bulletproof
Sadly they aren’t as reliable as they used to be.. My mom has always had Toyotas and her last two have needed more repairs than all the Fords I have ever owned. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds