GREAT SYSTEMS can be got for $395 or less now! (without deck) been shopping around

BOOMINGRANDPA
5,000+ posts

WOLFRAM FTW
NC
I wont even talk about autotek amps or someone will jump me.. I'M talking about 2 nice ppi amps (1- 2 channel for mids, mono block for subs) course $20 more or so u could get 4 channel with 2 sets of decent mids and a nice ppi sub or for $50 more (or less) a nicer sub all on sonic e. you new guys don't know how lucky u are this internet thing caught on lol.. used to be a good sub was $300 good amp was $300 (and I had 2 of each),, now for $500 or less u can get a good complete system including box, that woulda cost about $1500-$2500 12 yrs ago.. everyone ask what should I get all the time for less than $300 for 2 ggod amps I say ppi most of the time now, obviously there are others but those black ice amps are hard to pass up and speakers look good for 1/2 what we used to sell Memphis for.. that ppi sub looks good an has great reviews., but u peeps have me wanting a sundown 12 now so maybe I sell my other orion and get one sometime (may as well it's very old like me)

Depends on your definition of good. The cheapest I've ever priced out a full install was about 3 grand. Decent Deck, DSP that I would like, 2 way active fronts, single 15, 5 channel or 4 plus mono, treatments.

Just to add. Most of the new PPI is complete junk. Power acoustik clones

Phantoms and ions are the only good ppi left. The ba and new black ice are junk.

Just wait till you try a proper korean built amp gramps. Or some Brazilian made amps. Youll never look back at those cheapo china amps again. The difference is that massive in both sq and loudness. Its true that the overall quality has improved via technology however the overall standard of what a good system has also gone way up. You would still be spending around 3k for a good system nowadays. Back in the days was simple however modern day, you cant competer in either sq or spl without up to date product knowledge, proper gear and proper tuning and install with a lot of new install and tuning techniques. The bar is soo high nowadays that its hard for you to stay relevant. Your term GREAT would be scaled down to a newbie starter setup at best.

Keep in mind factory setups are getting much better so most of the times a simple 100 dollar speaker swap nowadays actually gets you worse results then stock unless you do a lot of sealing, baffling, deadening, adding power and have great processing and tuning power to match.

Id say head units have made the most improvements. You can buy a head unit with a 13 band eq, 3 pair of rca outs, time alignment and active network crossover capabilities for around 100 nowadays. You could never find anything close to that back then.

You ain't old dude, my 'little' system in my sig is about $2800, but it took about a year to pull it all together, just in time to shuffle some stuff around for my newest vehicle. I just got a 13 caddy srx, their new CUE system is going to make me stroke out, it has a 10 speaker, gag......Bose system. Really doesn't sound that bad, but I sure as schit miss my 18 inch sub. I remember when you paid as much as $2 a watt for an amp that barely fit in the trunk.

Old School SPL Competition Vehicles
Consider just 20 years ago a 7000W system would cost 50,000$, not break 160dB and win world finals in dB Drag.
MY POINT!! u can do that now for like $5k.. yeah amps were like $1 watt 15 yrs ago and they weren't any better than most the ones (like the ppi) that ya'll don't like.. ok maybe not great systems but pretty good and very loud can be had for like $800.. the 2 chrome memphis amps and xover I had in last car retailed @ $400 each (600 rms each) xover was $200, now u can get a nice amp for what the xover cost just saying.. dealer cost on those amps was like $249 or so now everyone can get stuff that good or better for same or less than dealers used to..

I'm saying for someone with no system to start u can get a very good sounding one for less than 1/2 what they used to.. lot of u guys want your roof to flex and all that I had 2 orion hp 12 in nice ported box 36 hz and 700 rms crossfire amp I took 1 out 6 yrs ago cause it they were destroying my trunk lid and box was so big I lost 1.5 mpg lol.. so I just want 1 12 with like 500 rms and a lot of new peeps just want that to start and can do it cheap now and have a sub with 2.5" vc instead of 1.5 and have 400-600 rms instead of 150 for less $ is all I'm saying..

I remember going to car shows 20 years ago. Looking back, i remember alot of spl cars using sealed boxes. Cramming 8 30oz motor 12s with 6mm xmax in a sealed box, and running 4 500w class AB amps... and alot of those builds were probably only doing low 140s.

Which can be done now with basically any decent 2.5" sub and 1k for 3-400$

I remember going to car shows 20 years ago. Looking back, i remember alot of spl cars using sealed boxes. Cramming 8 30oz motor 12s with 6mm xmax in a sealed box, and running 4 500w class AB amps... and alot of those builds were probably only doing low 140s.

Which can be done now with basically any decent 2.5" sub and 1k for 3-400$

$279 C-dsp

$25 usb-spdif adapter(to run from your phone to dsp)

$100 roughly in wire/lugs. (for bat to dist blocks in back and short wiring to amps from dist block)

$40 2 (1/0) 3 way dist blocks.

$15 in fuses

$500 150x4(4 ohm) Sax 150.4(Sundown) (midbass and midrange)

$125 Audio Systems 70.4(for tweets)

$200 1000rms Cerwin vega amp. Basically any 1k rms amp will run you $200

$200 Stereo Integrity midbass drivers( could run SLS 6.5s or 8in and for about $120)

$200 new($125 used) scanspeak 10f 4in midrange

$80 Alpine Spx pro tweets.

$370 SSA Icon.

$100 to build box myself.

$250 in sound deadening. Doors, expanding foam in back deck. replacing clips, misc random crap youll end up getting.

Total. $2,484.

Thats not including a good head unit if need be or a Umik-1 for tuning.

Basically bare min id ever want to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.