Graphing box rise

JG903
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have read around and was always interested in box rise and what mine was. Well today I did some testing on my current setup and I am not sure what to make of it. I went to excel and graphed the points and this is what I got.

boxrisegraph.jpg

Is this what it is supposed to look like? Did I do it right? If I am reading it right my Orion is putting out less than 1000 rms at 39 Hz:crying: .

How does that work anyway? I don't understand how the impedence that the amplifier sees is affected by the box. Also, is this just acoustic theory or fact of life?

How does that work anyway? I don't understand how the impedence that the amplifier sees is affected by the box. Also, is this just acoustic theory or fact of life?
Impedance varies over frequencies in a circuit. When you put a sub in an enclosure, both the sub and the enclosure are a part of the circuit. The enclosure will have a huge effect on the impedance of the system.

OP: how did you figure out the points to plot on excel?
I went to my truck and took out my DMM and a test tone cd. I took the AC Voltage and the current from 25-50 hz. It took me a little while. I wrote it all down and calculated the resistance. I then went to excel and created a chart.

You need a clamp meter to measure Impedance rise...I assume you used one?
I was under the impression that you could use two DMM at the same time to get the same results. One wired to get current and the other to read the voltage. At least that is what I think I read over at termpro. Oh and using a clamp would be way easier but I do not own one. Do you know where I could get one cheap?

I was under the impression that you could use two DMM at the same time to get the same results. One wired to get current and the other to read the voltage. At least that is what I think I read over at termpro. Oh and using a clamp would be way easier but I do not own one. Do you know where I could get one cheap?
I'm quite interested to know where you got this information from. Care to share the link?

You can get a clamp meter anywhere. What you want to get is a Digital Clamp Meter. Can buy one at harbor freight, ebay, or a local hardware store. Just make sure u get a name brand quality clamp meter. I hear stories about how clamps tend to not work, and it was due to how cheap they went with it.

-Dante

I'm quite interested to know where you got this information from. Care to share the link?

You can get a clamp meter anywhere. What you want to get is a Digital Clamp Meter. Can buy one at harbor freight, ebay, or a local hardware store. Just make sure u get a name brand quality clamp meter. I hear stories about how clamps tend to not work, and it was due to how cheap they went with it.

-Dante
I think I found the link for you. Scroll down and look at the post by Alaska.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007363

I have read around and was always interested in box rise and what mine was. Well today I did some testing on my current setup and I am not sure what to make of it. I went to excel and graphed the points and this is what I got.
boxrisegraph.jpg

Is this what it is supposed to look like? Did I do it right? If I am reading it right my Orion is putting out less than 1000 rms at 39 Hz:crying: .
that's a good graph dude:cool:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.