got a new sub, Epik Sentinel

Participant count
  • Participant list

tcguy85
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
i got my new Epik Sentinel today. the box was in perfect shape and the packaging seemed like more than enough to protect it against the biggest hits.

so far i like it. it's actually pretty small in size, smaller than i had imagined. i haven't got a chance to really let her rip yet. i don't have the house to myself so i cant crank it as loud as i want right now. i don't get why some people call the finish ugly, i think it looks nice and blends right in with the rest of my gear.

i have it 5db hot for music crossed at 60hz and 3db hot for tv, gaming, and movies crossed at 80hz. i ordered an ED eQ.2 yesterday from ED and fedex is actually showing that i'll have that tomorrow. so tomorrow i'll post some before and after graphs of my in room response at my main listening position. i ran REW as is just to see how it is before any EQ and the only real problem i have is at 52hz. i need a narrow cut at 52hz by about 6-8db or so.

here are a few pics:

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

i'll post a more in depth review once i get some time with it but so far i'm happy to have it. that's my initial impression. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thats really small!!!!!!!!!!!!! why are u gettin an ED eq?
yea she's sorta tiny. it's 20x14.5x20. it doesn't sound tiny though. why not get the ED EQ? i haven't seen one like it anywhere else.

this sub is the most musical sub i have ever heard and i haven't even dialed it in yet. and it hits the lows plenty well.

more of my impressions:

this morning i got a chance to let her rip. i woke up to an empty house so i cranked it for about 20 minutes before i went to work. then when i got home i cranked it some more. sampled a bit of music and was very impressed. at high volume it was still very transparent sounding, but powerful at the same time. it got very loud and handled it perfectly

today i also received my ED eQ.2 and hooked it up. spent about 2 hours or so on rew trying various things. i did a little house curve on the sub.

this is just the sub

subonlycrossedat80hz5-28-09.jpg

this is the sub with the mains:

subeqedmainstogethercrossedat80hz5-.jpg

as you can see i have a little problem between 60-70hz, and then 80hz seems to spike. the two EQ points i used were at 52hz and 34hz. this is just my 1st try and i'll see how i like it. next round i might try to just fix 50hz and 80hz as those seem to be the bigger problems. i'm listening to it right now at low volume with it like pictured in the graphs and it sounds ok, kinda flat though.

some more pics:

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

tell us more..............
ok.

i just got done watching Transformers with my Epik Sentinel. i am pretty impressed with it. i watched the entire movie from start to finish at -8 from reference and it didn't complain. i have my sub about 2-3db hot as well. so it handled Transformers at -5 or so without any real issues. would i try to play it louder? no, because it was plenty loud and there were a couple small hints of what sounded like port noise. i could be wrong but it just sounded like a chuffing sound. nothing major though, i just took it as a warning to not turn it any louder. there was no driver (mechanical) noise that i could hear. it didn't look or sound like it was being over driven or anything. it shook the floor over and over and over throughout the movie and just sounded very powerful. two thumbs up from me.

so it passes my test on movies. i'll very rarely get to watch a movie quite that loud, but i'm looking forward to my next chance to do so.

it passes my tests for music as well. i'm just still tuning my music settings. it sounds good so far but i'm looking for perfection and i'm just trying to find the right balance. i've been playing with REW a lot lately tuning my mains and my sub, and i still have more playing to do. so i'll comment more on music listening with it at a later date.

i also did some more EQ work, and moved my mains a little bit. moved them away from the wall a few inches. the green line is before moving them, and the orange is after.

beforeaftermovingmainsup5-31-09.jpg

i still have more work to do to get the mid-bass a little flatter, but it's getting there. i have no sound treatments in this room and i am being told that i will always have a bit of trouble in the mid-bass region until i get some bass traps.

time for a mid-june update:)
ok. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i did some more adjusting and EQ'ing. mainly with the integration of the sub with the mains. i moved my mains forward a few inches, and messed with the T/A of the sub.

got it looking like this:
htscanfrom6-1-09subandmains.jpg

i also got a product from Auralex called "GRAMMA". seen here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Auralex-Isolation-Riser-580002-i1429424.gc

it's a product made to isolate the subwoofer from the floor. it reduced a lot of nasty rattles and vibrations that i had. it also made the bass sound a lot tighter and "quicker". a great, simple improvement for $50.

i haven't done much movie watching but i did get a chance to crank some more music pretty good a few days ago and it did awesome. i am really impressed with the output and sound quality of this thing at all levels. i couldn't ask for anything more for music listening. for movies a second one couldn't hurt but i rarely get the chance to crank it as loud as i would like, so it's fine.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

WOW!!! i just watched Master and Commander and OMG!!!! never heard anything like it. i watched the whole movie at -10 (with the sub about 2-3db hot) and it was amazing. the cannon blasts were so sick! the whole movie just sounded amazing. it wasn't overly done like most of the new movies these days. there was no bass where there shouldn't be bass. simply the best sounding, most realistic sounding movie i have heard to date. it made me feel like i was there. reference material for sure. the Sentinel handled it like a champ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tcguy85

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
tcguy85
Hyde Park, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date