Good speakers for the $?

CDT makes good quality equipment. But. Look at the recommended crossover frequency of 110hz. Probably not the best speaker if you are looking for more mid bass.

The cdt’s can have solid midbass output but like any set of speakers you choose, install is key. In infinite baffle applications that xover point of 100+ hz is due to exactly that. Most midbass drivers won’t do well under 100hz in the bass department when run IB (this is also vehicle dependent). In a sealed enclosure it’s a totally different ball game. Depending on the car and enclosure size you could easily achieve output as low as 60hz or even lower. Where are the factory speakers located? Could you post a pic of the location?

I really like my Morel Tempo Ultra 602 2-way components. If you have the doors properly deadened, the speakers will give you plenty of bass. I don’t use a sub in my system yet I don’t notice any lack of bass except maybe a very low volumes. I can crank these speakers for hours and not get any ear fatigue. The tweeters are phenomenal, as well. I love these speakers.

However, Morel does not make this version anymore. They replaced it with the Tempo Ultra 602 MK2 and what I have found with most companies that “upgrade” their current model is that they found a way to make the product with less expensive parts. I don’t know if Morel has done this, but I would be wary.

I wouldnt forget about Polk Audio as well. Great speakers for the $ DB series and for a little for $ a solid set of components they make are the MM series.

CDT is a great choice. I love mine, have been abusing them for 5+ yrs now, no issues, and killer midbass.
And as was already said, when installed correctly, they will play well down into the double digits frequency range.

I went ahead and ordered the CDT HD 65D. For $99 I don't feel like I can go wrong.

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I'll update once I get them installed.

Some of the BMW's use an underseat midbass. esp. if it is the logic 7 system. I know my E60 had them, and the door speakers depending on the model and attached stereo; don't supply a full range signal to the doors. There is also some depth issues. That looks similar to the drivers I had in my door and they were only 100mm diameter and the depth was 65mm?
Check out a company called bavsound.com or the speakers on partsexpress from GRS that offer direct swaps. None of them are really cheap though. Focal, Gladen, earthquake and others offer midbass solutions but are expensive. Most will need a spacer and wiring adapter as the factory plugs are meant for their drivers.

Yes, my BMW has the factory 8’s under the seat. Im familiar with Bavsound and other replacements. I would rather someone build me door pods and throw a decent 6.5” in there.

CDT must be local to me as they’re showing scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I just ordered them this morning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...