Good Speakers for 17.5w rms 45w max?

Subcut

Kansas
I want to replace the blown speakers in my truck with all new ones. Since it did not come with a stock stereo there are no specific sized mounts in the car, the doors have holes cut into them that have worked fine with 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers. The back just has a set of wires routed back there with electric tape on the ends, so I could add 2 speakers back there of any size. The two front speakers it has are both different, one 5 1/4 and one 6 1/2 both basically just screwed into the door panel. One of the speakers is badly blown and is making my music sound atrocious. I just installed a subwoofer that I am quite happy with, so these speakers do not need to put out hardly any bass at all, I was even considering wiring in bass blockers for the speakers so they wouldn't even try to reproduce bass. Most of the after market speakers I've seen have had quite high rms and max ratings, that I think would hardly be satisfied by my weak per channel output. I just want it to sound decent, not break the bank, and preferrably be quite loud(in the truck)

Will I be better of buying/building a small box to put the back speakers in? I don't plan on buying or installing an amp, I feel like there should be some quite decent offerings for a stock power head unit. In fact the two crappy mismatched speakers in there now get quite loud(enough for me to never max out the volume), but at higher volumes become completely drowned out by the bass.

You're not going to find much rated at 17watts per, but you'll be fine with speakers rated 40-80watts. Anymore than that and prices will just start getting higher than worth it for what you're trying to do. Just don't be afraid to go with a speaker just because you can hardly feed it. Would amping a speaker to potential be better, of course, but there's plenty of people running aftermarket speakers on deck power without issues.

So the car did not come with factory speakers, where would I find "factory oem speakers"? I have seen some very low RMS speakers available at autozone that didn't even have a brand, is that what you guys are talking about?

Secondly am I going to have better luck finding low rms(or getting a lot of sound out of my low RMS output) speakers if I per-say went for some very small speakers? Does this make much of a difference?

You can run comps off the HU just fine. It just won't shine like they would on an amp and you won't be able to crank them crazy loud. Just find something with low wattage requirement (around 60 watts or less) and high sensitivity (over 91db). My Pioneer TS-D1720C comps sound pretty good off my Eclipse head unit (only 13 watts).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.