good budget subs

I'm not dissin on anyones opinions but I have to be honest when I say I don't like the Type R. I talked my friend into getting one (mainly due to all the hype on this forum) after he blew his L7(he didn't understand resistence). He accidently wired the L7 to 1 ohm on a PPI pc2150 and fed it about 2500 watts on accident. Good thing it was an original PPI or it would have fried the amp immediatly..

Anyway he got the Type R, I installed it correctly and tuned the amp for him including gains, x over freq's and centerlines and to be honest I have never been impressed. IMO it sounds boomy ported and sealed.

I finally convinced him to go with the 12W6 since he was looking for more sq and a descent spl. Well you don't have to argue the W6, he's happy.

I guess you can call this a partial thread jack/review. Just giving my .02 cents to the original poster.

My vote=

CVX...if you can feed them

W3's(the quality makes up for the spl)

Type R's do get a vote because they can get loud

type r , pioneer premiers or cvx's
From these 3 I have had all three & how I would rank them.

1. Type r's (efficient & LOUD)

2. Pioneer Premiers (needs a ton of power to get loud but dirty bass)

3. CVX's (loud but dirty)

All of these subs were all ran on a mmats d3500 & by far the type r's were louder by FAR.......

Dont buy the re's
Get alpine type r's more efficient woofer, RUBBER surround overall a better woofer.

Get 2 12's you will be satisfied.
I'm not trying to say sensitivity is a measure of the worth of a speaker,

but you bring up efficiency and I can't think of another way to measure it:

re se 12 sensitivity 86.1 db 1w/1m

Alpine type-r 12 sensitivity 85 db 1w/1m

And what's wrong with the RE surrounds //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused:

From these 3 I have had all three & how I would rank them.
1. Type r's (efficient & LOUD)

2. Pioneer Premiers (needs a ton of power to get loud but dirty bass)

3. CVX's (loud but dirty)

All of these subs were all ran on a mmats d3500 & by far the type r's were louder by FAR.......
i've heard all of them and they all can be had for cheap, a pioneer can be had for $90 brand new and it can handle 1,000 watt rms + daily, but like like you said the type r is the loudest

I'm not trying to say sensitivity is a measure of the worth of a speaker,but you bring up efficiency and I can't think of another way to measure it:

re se 12 sensitivity 86.1 db 1w/1m

Alpine type-r 12 sensitivity 85 db 1w/1m

And what's wrong with the RE surrounds //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused:
It's called the finger test. Try & hold your RE HE with 1 finger under the foam, & do the same with the type r. The rubber surrounds can do it, the he can not (he's you will put your finger through it). Stronger surrounds = BETTER SUB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.