Going over rms wattage

Participant count
  • Participant list

biiqdanz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Is it possible to go over the setup i have with the subs i have too? I have a rockford 700's amp with two 12 inch mtx 8000 dvc 4 ohmers. But later on i was thinking about getting a bigger amp. The stats for the 8000 is 400 watts rms and 800 watts peak. Right now i have the amp bridged at 2 ohm stereo and im pushing 350 watts per sub and their sounding nice. But lets say later on i get a 1000 watt amp and decide to bridge it and put 500 watts per sub or maybe get a bigger amp then that and push 600 watts per sub. Do u think theyll handle it?

No they wont. They are rated 400rms for a reason. MTX subs like to blow with to much power. I would keep the power you have for now. and if you do get a amp and they blow, im gunna be like "i told ya so" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/chicken.gif.218ea7401db50d5e31a7e0b37e05e21e.gif

depends how that 500 watts is rated--probably at 14.4 volts so most likely he'll never realize 500. and most ppl don't turn the volume to 100% either--and if the gains are set right.....and so on. i would feel comfortable hookin em up to a 100 w amp---but thats imho.

a little wattage overhead is good, becuase watt output and what a sub really gets are theoretical and real world conditions affect it, and more often then not you wont actually get all of the power to the subs. so thats why people often say a little more is good . however too much, especially on lower end stuff, depending on box size/ported, is bad.

a little wattage overhead is good, becuase watt output and what a sub really gets are theoretical and real world conditions affect it, and more often then not you wont actually get all of the power to the subs. so thats why people often say a little more is good . however too much, especially on lower end stuff, depending on box size/ported, is bad.

Now ur getting me nervous lol. The 8000's are beasts they seam like they can handle over their rms power.

Now ur getting me nervous lol. The 8000's are beasts they seam like they can handle over their rms power.
i wasnt referring to your subs when i said lowerer end stuff. buy a bigger amp if you wanted to, you can always adjust the gains

i did some research on those subs, I personaly wouldnt go over 500 rms, if you want your subs to last

also found this

"I have a pair of the 12in dual 4 ohm Mtx thunder 8000. they have tight bass due to the excursion being .49in...I ran a Cadence Ultrashock Amp to them. 1500 rms max and did they pound.(1.9 cu. ft box per side ported, turned to 45hz)I ran them to the amp at half power for a year. (142.1db) When I actually did turn it up, I was afraid of blowing them in half.(unknown db) 800 watts max...really...I figured with the 86.5 sensitivity it could push 900 safely, maybe not. I heard there were voice coil problems with the 8000 series. I never had and problems. If you want somewhat SQL bass , these are the way to go. "

i wasnt referring to your subs when i said lowerer end stuff. buy a bigger amp if you wanted to, you can always adjust the gains
Yeah true, But this amp is just right for the rms power well its doing 350 x2 on 2 ohms to each sub and the peak for them is 400 so its safe. But if i buy a bigger amp yeah ill adjust the gains.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.