Going active.. advice.

got-one-eight
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have decided to remove the bi-amp setup I have and go active with my Morel Elate 6 2W. I am doing this for hopefully more tune ability and better time alignment. This will be my first active setup so I'm not sure where to start. I have an Alpine 9887 and I know I need to flip the switch to 3-way? My question is what is the default head units cut off freq when I flip the switch. I don't want 80hz hitting my tweets of course. Which leads me to my next question.. where should I start on my cutoffs. I know the passive X-over has a 12db slope but not sure what the cutoffs are. I wasnt sure if I should start at 4k hpf on the tweet then how does it work to set the mid up so its playing 80hz-4khz with a 12db slope. Or should I start at 18 to be safe? Also the Front output should be for the tweets and rear should be for the mids correct? I will be running a JL 450/4 to them. 150x2 to the mids and 75x2 to the tweets. Thx for any advice!

Without knowing what you're doing and why you're doing it, you'll most likely get better sound with the stock crossovers. If you're truly set on an active setup, you need to learn about audio, do a lot of critical listening, and then correlate what you've learned with the aural experience. If you put in the time, there will be no need to start threads like this. Good luck.

Without knowing a good safe starting point for the speakers I am running I still need to start a thread. I plan on going active to get the time alignment right. I am not new to audio.. just new to going active. Thx for the reply though.

Edit: Think I found the tweet is crossed over at 3,800hz at the bottom. Would still like someone to backup my findings.

Without knowing what you're doing and why you're doing it, you'll most likely get better sound with the stock crossovers. If you're truly set on an active setup, you need to learn about audio, do a lot of critical listening, and then correlate what you've learned with the aural experience. If you put in the time, there will be no need to start threads like this. Good luck.
Or even threads like this:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409957

hmm........

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.