glass box build feedback please

sexy
10+ year member

mind reader
ohio
Hope some experienced competitors see this post and can give me some feedback. I am building a new box for 2011 season 11ply birch 4 layers thick at minimum heavy gauge square steel tube caged on the outside. What I was wanting feedback on is the use of glass on the inside. Automotive grade safety glass bonded to the birch with body panel adhesive or ¾” polycarbonate instead of glass. Have any of you tried this or know of someone who has done the insides with glass? I wont be using the glass on the sub wall itself because of the weight of the subs. Box will be tuned @70hz final displacement will be between 15/16 cube wont know until that until I get it on the term-LAB I am building 16 cube to start then reducing internals until I get a peak on the meter.

Thanks for the feedback in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

what is the area you expect for the glass (sq. ft.) relative to the area of the wall the glass will be on? is this for viewing of the subs from the back of the box or another purpose? got a sketch of what you are planning. the window may increase losses if not done just right - seams and seals are failure points.

Since you're really only asking about the glass that's what I'll address.

you're going to have 44 layers of laminated wood (about 4 inches), and only 3/4" of brittle acrylic or PC. with 15ft^3 of airspace I can only assume you'll be using multiple large diameter subs. This means LOTS of pressure and flex. The enclosure walls will flex differently than the PC will, so you'll have to overlap a lot more than you'd think...maybe 3 inches. double rows of pass through bolts and enough silicone to float your house through the next Katrina.

I think, to be safe, you'll want to have 2 layers of 3/4" PC sandwiched between the inner and out layer of birch.

The sheet metal would not add any rigidity at all which I would assume is what he's going for. That said unless he used some thick glass, it wouldn't do anything either.
o I was figuring that he might of thought the wood structure could act like a sound absorber since it is not as dense as glass

possibly the same thinking would be that the sound wave would reflect off the glass with less of the sound absorbed ?

kind of maby making the most of what is there to be had ? or would simply coating the entire inside of the box with a layer of fiberglass do the same thing ?

and usually enclosures are lined with RESIN not GLASS to help seal the pores because most people don't understand that the enclosure doesn't resonate as well if it doesn't breathe...

and usually enclosures are lined with RESIN not GLASS to help seal the pores because most people don't understand that the enclosure doesn't resonate as well if it doesn't breathe...
that's correct Jay.

from the title i assumed resin and fiberglass on the inside. then i thought a window from the post... we need the OP to clear this up so the replies are useful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.