sup bishes! bandpass....

Participant count
  • Participant list

k_schutte
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
OK... I am "considering" getting back into car audio a little bit. I am not planning to get as deep as I was before though, no more 10kw systems, probably more like 3Kw~ at the most!

I picked up a new car, this one is a 2000 Impala. I am thinking I want to try something I have never done which would be a bandpass. I just don't know **** about them! I have only ever done sealed, slot port, round port and aero port in the past. I am thinking 4th order but I am not sure what I would use for subs.

I am trying to keep the box fairly small, I need a trunk! well, I don't but the Fiance will kill me if I have yet another car with no trunk. She is still pretty pissed that I managed to have ZERO room in the durango after I put my system in! LOL

Anyways! this is the room I have for a box. 16" high, 16" deep and 38" wide. As i said, I don't fully understand a 4th order but I get the basic idea, a small sealed section and a bigger ported section. I would like to use one of my 6" aero ports for the ported section if possible. I will bring the port up through the rear deck. How many of what size subs could I use with the space i have? I will be buying a design from someone on here, as again, I don't know **** about them so...

Hmmm I think it'd be hard to squeeze a couple of 10"s in there unless you found some that liked a really small box.
my 10" likes a really small box... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

So, how do you determine what size the sealed is and what size the ported is? if I don't have room for 2 10"s then I assume I don't have room for 3 8"s either which was my other choice... If I have to, a single beast of a 12" would probably work just fine.

the "goal" is 145~ on 500 watts and 150~ on 2000 watts. No idea if I can do it though, I was dominating the Basic Trunk class until Shane came along with his single HDC315 and slaughtered me. He is doing 151+ in his Intrepid, it would just be nice to give him a little actual competition. Before I switched classes, I was the closest to him at about 1.3dB below him. Now the closest person is like 3dB or more lower than him...

For a 4th order or 6th order, I don't think you'd have enough room for anything more than a set of 8's or 10's. Unless its a set that is designed for small sealed enclosures, then it might work well for 4th order. The idea is to size your ported box about 2-3x larger than the sealed section and tune the port a little bit higher than you would for a normal ported box....actually a lot higher. The sealed section is usually built to manufacture specs for SQ or SPL.

Some subs don't work well in 4-6th order Bandpass. You want to go with something the manufacture intended on running in a BP box. The set of subs I'm running work best in a sealed or ported box so I had to scrap my plans for a bandpass about half-way into the project. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif I ended up going with a standard ported for this set.

my 10" likes a really small box... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
So, how do you determine what size the sealed is and what size the ported is? if I don't have room for 2 10"s then I assume I don't have room for 3 8"s either which was my other choice... If I have to, a single beast of a 12" would probably work just fine.

the "goal" is 145~ on 500 watts and 150~ on 2000 watts. No idea if I can do it though, I was dominating the Basic Trunk class until Shane came along with his single HDC315 and slaughtered me. He is doing 151+ in his Intrepid, it would just be nice to give him a little actual competition. Before I switched classes, I was the closest to him at about 1.3dB below him. Now the closest person is like 3dB or more lower than him...
I don't know much about bandpass, but I don't think you'd get those numbers, unless you run the box strictly for SPL.

yeah... I don't know **** about them either... someone just mentioned to me that, with the right design, a sub will be louder in a 4th order than in a reuglar aero ported enclosure. I don't know **** about them so I thought I would ask you guys. The person who said that is a local shop owner...

yeah... I don't know **** about them either... someone just mentioned to me that, with the right design, a sub will be louder in a 4th order than in a reuglar aero ported enclosure. I don't know **** about them so I thought I would ask you guys. The person who said that is a local shop owner...
I don't think they are much louder than ported boxes, if any at all. They generally have the ability to sound better than ported boxes, and can let the subs go lower.

I wanted to do something like that too, but just wound up doing another ported box.
Yeah, I was wanting something really clean looking this time was my main thing. I think a "trunk wall" and the port through the rear deck should look pretty clean though. The girl is 100% against me doing another system so I have to try and make it look like a smaller system. that box would only take up the very front section of the trunk so I think that would work for her and still give me a decent amount of box.

My next problem is choosing the sub(s)... I really want to go back to AQ but I was hoping for a $300~ budget on that sub(s) which would make me go with a single 15". I am also thinking about a pair of SoundStream T5 12"s. Because they look nasty, are in my budget, I have yet to run SS subs and I have been impressed by them before...

wigger-1.jpg

Do 2 NS-10s in a BP >:p bandpAss enclosures don't 'sound better' than aeroported ones. They're tuned to very specific frequency ranges so they aren't the greatest for daily music play. They usually ARE louder than potted enclosures because they are tuned to specific frequencies rather than wider ranges ud need for music. If u go w bp I'd recommend u setup for SPL only cuz thers not much else u can do w/ such an enclosure. They DO sound great in their tuned frequency ranges tho lol so I ur burping @ 63 atleast u will sound great doing it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.