Giving the RE XXX another Try *Pic*

Mass does play a role in how far you can extend response.

The upper frequency response is strongly related to the initial rise-time of the driver which is a strong function of the coil's inductance (and how it varies with current and position). After the initial rise-time, however, mass becomes a player in transient response and, accordingly, upper frequency extension.

So the proper conclusion to draw is that inductance is a dominant factor, and mass is of secondary import.

The upper frequency response is strongly related to the initial rise-time of the driver which is a strong function of the coil's inductance (and how it varies with current and position). After the initial rise-time, however, mass becomes a player in transient response and, accordingly, upper frequency extension.

So the proper conclusion to draw is that inductance is a dominant factor, and mass is of secondary import.
That strongly supports my association with a high degree of resolution (though, another factor involved with that would also be the decay time) but it also brings up something I missed in my previous post regarding the relationship between mass and frequency extension. Thanks for correcting me. So with a given mass-limited high frequency response, could you then extend the frequency response by simply overcoming the mass with more motor force/acceleration, assuming everything else remains static, or are you locked in to that response profile by the amount of mass alone? I'm probably reaching here.

That strongly supports my association with a high degree of resolution (though, another factor involved with that would also be the decay time) but it also brings up something I missed in my previous post regarding the relationship between mass and frequency extension. Thanks for correcting me. So with a given mass-limited high frequency response, could you then extend the frequency response by simply overcoming the mass with more motor force/acceleration, assuming everything else remains static, or are you locked in to that response profile by the amount of mass alone? I'm probably reaching here.
You are correct, motor force plays a large role in how mass affects final performance. And, I thank you for your confidence in me, but I learn new things here all the time. Many times from you.

You are correct, motor force plays a large role in how mass affects final performance. And, I thank you for your confidence in me, but I learn new things here all the time. Many times from you.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I would think a higher amount of BL would help correct any over or under shoot by the driver due a the extra mass, just as a higher Bl allows the driver to overcome essentially the same forces in reverse near tuning. I can't see any physical why it would be an inherent factor due to the new mass, you simply need enough force to control it.

Keep in mind, a consistent, stable BL force is also important in this respect. As we all know, conventional drivers lose BL force as the coil leaves the gap, where as BL optimized drivers do not.

I would think a higher amount of BL would help correct any over or under shoot by the driver due a the extra mass, just as a higher Bl allows the driver to overcome essentially the same forces in reverse near tuning. I can't see any physical why it would be an inherent factor due to the new mass, you simply need enough force to control it.
That has always been the traditional way...increase BL. I think it's time for people to think outside of the box. Low mms for efficiency with a super strong motor and let the box do the work rather than the woofer.

Tuan

over or undershoot is not appropriate for speakers... you can't overshoot a sinwave input, you can play it louder (higher acceleration due to higher sensitivity or power) or softer (opposite) or you can have a distorted waveform from non-linearity (many kinds of that that range from suspension, BL, etc.) Note: inductance is NOT distortion, but we can have non-linear inductors which invoke distortion - very difference concept. Keep in mind, any time you put a low pass crossover on your sub, you're adding the same thing an inductor does. Generally the inductance of a speaker motor is not that linear and we really want to eliminate it from the network or minimize it or avoid frequencies that is affects for that reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.