Get the most BANG when getting subs

XplorerChaser
10+ year member

About 2 months ago I purchased an Alpine type E sub (600 W max 200 W RMS) and I was supprised when the seller recomended that to me over the Alpine type R sub (1000 W 300 W RMS) because he said for my type of music (rap) it had more "kick" which is what I wanted. Sure enough I tested both, and the type R went lower, but the type E made me dizzy with the kick. I was wondering what the best subs with the most kick might be, or better yet what to look for when looking for these subs? I would have thought RMS but that was not the case with the Alpines.

I think I get it, he needs to look for subs with higher FS, like 30Hz and up.

I find it interesting that rap and kicks would be the combo. To me, rap production is the only commercial music that fully utillizes the low end spectrum, next to movie audio. I would have expected him to be looking for low end rumble. I can understand wanting more kick emphasis with house music.

Well, isn't that kicking sound emphasized more in bandpass boxes than sealed or ported? Or am I just losing my mind?

Because he could get a big old bandpass box, and listen to those hard kicks.... I had 2 15s that kicked very hard, when I put them in a sealed box they got that nice rumble //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You would probably want a deep ported box tuned really low to get the ooomph..

Try 27 or so hz...

I would go with the Type R, but I have no exprience with any of their subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.