get loud for cheap / ghetto blaster burb

decided to start sound deadning process. pulled the rear half of the headliner - and tossed all the junk for the rear ac since it was not hooked up anyway.

packed all the roof ribs with whatever left over tubes of caulking i had laying around my shop. idea was to bond the roof to them slightly and also prevent any metal to metal contact / rub / noise there. - some of the gaps were quite large - so im wating 72 hours before playing bass just to give caulking time to set up good.

im super messy with caulking. always have to mush it with a finger to "help" lol

and since i had a home depo gift card - i picked up 4 rolls of this peal and seal type deadner $16 a roll and still have $4 left on my gift card - thanks santa !

went double thick on all areas of the roof. overlaped the seams. used a longboard skateboard wheels mounted to the trucks to "roll" all of it on for a nice job.

was tough on the arms and neck...

hopefully it will help some. still have to wait a bit to play bass and see if there is any improvment - might do my rear doors next - or might pull the side pannels back there and do that area next. still have a few ft of the cheap o peal and seal leftover - but i might wait and test with what ive done already

if i find that it infact did not help much at all - i might have to pony up and buy some real sound deadner

Interested to see if the peel and seel does anything for you.. a ton of controversy on this forum as to whether or not it works. General consensus seems to be that it doesn't.

But since you clearly have it installed, you should be able to shed some light on that soon.

im hoping double thick will do something. at double thick its still cheap - but if i have to go tripple thick it starts getting in to the "real sound deadner" price range per foot used at x amout of layers thick bla bla ...

tomorow on the way to work and home i shall play some and see if she rattles up there on the roof as bad as it did before.

im hoping double thick will do something. at double thick its still cheap - but if i have to go tripple thick it starts getting in to the "real sound deadner" price range per foot used at x amout of layers thick bla bla ...
tomorow on the way to work and home i shall play some and see if she rattles up there on the roof as bad as it did before.
I had horrible results with the peel and seal. I did multiple layers, it just really didnt work very well for me compared to good CLD tiles. but the worst part is it falls off in heat and its just a mess really. Hope it works better for you, this is a cool build man

today was the worst day of this build.

got in my burb today at 10am to drive to work ( south FL its smokin hot already by 10am ) and my truck was an oven

literly i felt heat coming from the back so hot it seemed like something was on fire.

checked the back out.

3 strips of 6" wide had already fallen down = landed on top of my box and subwoofers.

and that was only 10 am.

pic to follow. fml dont use peal and seal on your roof - the hot sun will literly melt it off. it will fall down - and make a big *** mess. you will be angry

figured id try and stick it all back together as best i could. used this aluminum straping tape for ac ducts on all the seams to make all the seperate pieces "one big piece" so hopefully it wont fall down again. maby it will. who knows. i hate that this happened. but thats what i get. fail - learn from it - fix it - do better next time.

yeah

so even if it does stay up this time.

its still hot. the hot sun beats down on my roof - transfers to the asphalt of peal and seal - gets that hot - the aluminum face acts like a grill or oven convexing hot in to my truck. literly it was so hot to touch i had to wear a leather glove to press it all back on. id imagine the aluminum surface of that crap was well over 100 degrees on the underside of my roof inside the cabin of the truck. so yeah. even if it stays up and i keep it there - now my truck will be a gigantic slow cooker set to 125deg. from 9am to 7pm every day this summer. im not happy

stay away from peal and seal.

you will be so angry at your self - learn from my fail please

Seriously man I would just cut your losses and throw that crap away. If it's not even sticking to the roof it's not going to have ANY sound deadening properties...

As a side note, I love the zebra stripe center console, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the old timers remember what dynamat was in the 90's? Pretty much what OP used but without the aluminum layer. Personally I've had better luck with home depot products sticking and staying than with some pretty high priced name brand SPL tiles.

Florida and asphault based deadener really don't mix though. That place is terribly hot. Up here I had a fire going in the wood stove yesterday. That jungle heat is for the birds.

im thinking more and more about tearing it all off - and doing a plywood roof of sorts. each suport rib has about 18" between it - i could do 1/2" plywood in between each beam at 48" wide across and use some great expanding foam to spray up in there to keep the roof "stuck" to the ply so it does not flex and make noise.

i gota do something perminent back there to keep everything "solid" cause once i build the wall / or 4th order box it aint coming out.

***** tho.

guess its good that i diddnt spend $65 cash out of my pocket to buy peal and seal from home depo - and had a gift card to "learn" from this experience.

asphalt based deadner and south FL do not mix gota figure out something for my doors now. no way do i want to buy any kind of asphalt type deadner.

You can use Spectrum from Second Skin Audio. It worked great on my car and it was fairly cheap too. You can spray it on with a spray gun. The only thing is you gotta wait like a day for it to dry so it can harden. It will add alot of weight to your roof without a lot of product.

I've never had any problems with second skin deadener falling off...

SDS CLD tiles are also an option if you can get an order placed (they have problems responding to emails)

nothing fell off or saged down even a little bit today. was just as hot and sunny as yesterday.

so i guess ill let it stay like that for a week and see if any more comes down....

had a guy come by the shop today to do returns - i tossed him in the pasanger seat and went for a demo drive.

he had never been in a viechle with this much stereo system and was pretty blown away. by the end of the drive he was pluging his ears with his fingers.

played wiz kalifa on my level / lil john turn down for what / and somethng else i cant remember. but it did give me the slightest bit of un comftorble in my ears today also... first time in the build its been louder than lovely feeling. so maby the roof is helping divert some cone movment energy up front instead of being hopelessly lost in roof / boddy flex....

i got to get this thing on a meter. does anyone have any idea where i can find a place to get metered in south east FL ?

Nice!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif I always wanted to try fiber glassing but I don't want to mess up my door panels but o what the hell I'll just buy some extra ones to practice on. This just gave me motivation.

Damn well it looks like you had the same experience with the peel and seal as me:crap: oh well now we know firsthand

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.