General questions from a newbie to car audio...

MercuryEvo
10+ year member

NY
Hey guys, I have a Lexus IS350 and I'd like to add 1 12" sub to it. I'm interested in the JL W6V2 or a W7 and would like to use this enclosure

http://www.4080enclosures.com/shop4080/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9&image=3.

As far as AMP goes, I was thinking of using the JL 500.1 but it says it does 500 watts at 1 ohm and the w6v2 and w7 dont go down to 1ohm right? Unless I need to use the Slash AMP which I think makes the full 500 watts at 4 ohms. I think the w6v2 is dual 4ohm if I'm not mistaken? I probably dont need the W7, so I'm thinking the W6v2 will be more then enough if I can run the full 500 watts to it. Worst case I guess I can use the 1000.1 and turn it down right?

Next thing is, I'd like to do something with the door speakers. I'm thinking a component system for the front and just upgraded replacements for the rear. I'd like to run another JL amp, to keep it all matching. I'm thinking the slash 300/4v2 should be plenty but I'm not sure of what component setup to go with. The thing is, I'm dead set on retaining the OEM Radio/Navigation so everything needs to work with that. I do have a factory amp and subwoofer so I dont want to have to run new wiring to the speakers. If I must sacrifice some audio quality due to reusing the oem wiring then thats fine.

Thanks for the help in advance guys!!

That stealth-fit enclosure isn't deep enough to house a W7. You'd need more than 500 watts too. If you're willing to give up a little trunk space, build a "real" enclosure. It'll sound better and you'll save quite a large amount of cash.

First, welcome

Second, before you buy ANYTHING, please READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as you can from this forum. If you're looking for output, there's at least 20 woofers I know of that are louder than the JL W7.

If you're looking for sound quality, there's at least 10 woofers off the top of my head that I can remember that sound better than the JL W6v2's

And most of these options are the same price or, in most cases, cheaper.

First, welcome
Second, before you buy ANYTHING, please READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as you can from this forum. If you're looking for output, there's at least 20 woofers I know of that are louder than the JL W7.

If you're looking for sound quality, there's at least 10 woofers off the top of my head that I can remember that sound better than the JL W6v2's

And most of these options are the same price or, in most cases, cheaper.
I'm not looking for something thats going rattle the doors off the car next to me, but I want something that that hits pretty hard.

I REALLY want that enclosure, so could you assist me in putting together the best overall possible setup for that enclosure then? I need to retain the trunk space honestly, And I need to keep the pass through on my seat. I just want to get the loudest most efficient 12" sub I can get in there, but I'm not looking to be competition loud, just louder then anyone else around with only 1 12" sub.

As far as brands go, I'm very open to brand suggestions. I'd prefer to stick with 1 brand of amps/sub but if it makes sense to use 2 different brands, then so be it. I'd like to use the same brand of amps at least though. Ahh F*ck it if it makes sense to use 2 different brands of amps then so be it.

I like the way my Treo performed in an SQ type of set up, and it still made decent output. They also make good amps and components/coax. I would sell my 12, and get you hooked up with amps and speakers too if you want to run matching stuff.

PM if interested, I can get you a quote.

I like the way my Treo performed in an SQ type of set up, and it still made decent output. They also make good amps and components/coax. I would sell my 12, and get you hooked up with amps and speakers too if you want to run matching stuff.
PM if interested, I can get you a quote.
Treo? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with many brands of audio equipment besides the mainstream ones like pioneer, alpine, BA, JL, RF, etc...

Treo makes some heavy duty subs, But I can't think of any brands to compare them to, they are their own thing. They take abuse VERY well, and sound great in the right enclosures. The warranties are great, and they are the only ones I can think of that make a sub that takes 20k.

TreoOnline.com

its already been said, but again, the w7 wont even fit in that box. i doubt a w6 even would. second 500 isnt enough for the w7. look into some other subs. ur gonna most likely have to get a real box. theres a ton of options, that arent to to expensive. like said in above, in most cases are cheaper, and will out do the w7

If your center point of this build, is around this particular enclosure, then the ideal way to go is "work backwards". Find a sub that fits the enclosure well and will perform the way you want, then get an amp that will power it right, then, most likely, the same manufacturer will have components and coax to fill the full range in the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.